• Folks, if you've recently upgraded or renewed your annual club membership but it's still not active, please reach out to the BOD or a moderator. The PayPal system has a slight bug which it doesn't allow it to activate the account on it's own.

CT Frag Farmer's Market Invite - 3-8-14

fitch4

Area Reef Club Officers

Jon Swanson here from the E.O. Smith High School Coral Project here.
I wanted to reach out to my NJ area reefing brothers and sisters to extend an invite to you all to come out to the 7th annual Frag Farmer's Market in Storrs CT on March 8th 2014. An offshoot of the coral aquaculture project I work on with students at the high school I teach at (www.eosmithcoralproject.org), the FFM has grown into one of the biggest "swaps" in the Northeast, bringing together some of biggest names (Jason Fox, Hiller, Pacific East, etc..) alongside a ton a of hobbyists who sell off their own homegrown frags. If you have a chance, it is worth the ride up, please come up and check it out.
I am also looking for more hobbyists (and shops) to set up at the FFM. The whole idea behind the event has always been to give the little guy a low cost-low stress "show" venue to be able to sell their corals at and make a few $. My thinking being that if the hobbyist has the chance to make a few $ fragging, they are more likely to grow, frag, and distribute aquacultured corals. Anyway, if anyone is interested in coming out to sell, or know someone who might be, shoot me a PM and I can give you details on set-up and such. Last year we had over 500 people come out and almost 40 "vendors" and it keeps growing every year!
I'll post updates as things continue to come together.
Let me know if you have questions!
-Jon Swanson

TanksNStuff

Officer Emeritus
Officer Emeritus
Yea, Jon has been in contact with me for the past few days with the request to post this invite to our members. I think they have a good thing going on over there and we're very happy to oblige him with this request. We always like to promote local swaps and this in one that (although slightly far away for some) is worth announcing to our members. Who knows, maybe a few of you can organize a road trip?

With that said, I moved this thread to the announcement section as that's more appropriate for this invitation.

fitch4

Area Reef Club Officers
Thanks for helping me get the word out. The Frag Farmer's has grown bigger each year and it is great to see the people from all over who come each year. I am up to almost 40 sellers already (which is where we we finished at last year) so it looks to have even more corals.
Alcohol- The $1 admission is actually new this year. It had been free in previous years. It is really just a way for me to get a better count of how many came. My plan is to put most of it back into FFM gift certificates that I can raffle off all day.
Let me know if any of you have questions or would like to come up to sell.
-Jon

fitch4

Area Reef Club Officers
The FFM "vendor" list has grown over 40 already, which is where we ended last year. It is also about 1/2 hobbyists and 1/2 shops, which is cool to see as well. It looks to be HUGE this year and well worth the trip to come up for the day.

fitch4

Area Reef Club Officers
As of two days ago, the FFM spots for vendors is FULL. I have a whopping 50 sellers for corals this year and quite a few "dry goods" vendors as well that will be in the hall. I did a little quick math ... that is ALOT of corals that will be for sale that day. If only I knew of some people who would be interested in a huge selection of corals at great prices...
I'm working to get the list cleaned up so I can post it and I should have it up in a few days!

Anyone here plan on going? It's only 4-1/2 hours from my house witch isn't that bad since I drive to mass 2 a month

May go to this since my tank will have finished cycling just a few weeks before, but it all depends on how much money I have to spend when the date rolls around.

fitch4

Area Reef Club Officers
Okay, I think I have it...FINALLY
Here is the seller list for the FFM!
I apologize now for screwing up someone's name and definitely someone's home state. I might have guessed on one or two...

Seller State
10sojs - CT
A+A Corals (Formerly- Anthony27) NYC
Aquadreams MA
Aquatic X-celelnce NJ
aznnutty's saltwater connections OH
Bigcapct CT
Capcept/BfishLpond78/FRivera CT
CDMAS Sponsor NY
Chriskid CT
Colorful corals NY
CullyisGully NY
Dankacedium MD
Designer Corals CT
Dvetran CT
E.O. Smith Coral Project CT
Emessier CT
Exotic Fish and Corals CT
Exotic Reef Creations MD
Fins Aquarium NY
Frank180Reef MA
Gotham Aquatics NYC
Greg Hiller BRS
Hammer NH
ijamcorals MD
Jason Foxx MD
jgraz NJ
knockOUT Aquatics LLC PA
Kwong1998 NYC
Love the Reef BRS
Mass Reef Care MA
Matt Spaulding VT
MetroKat NY
MO~Idol (Steve) NYC
MrsDubs NYC
Pablo NYC
Pacific East Aquaculture MD
Phil Quindara NY
R+R Aquatics NYC
Reef Creations NYC
Sassawrasse CT
Shayna 123 CT
Shector/Bubbabobobbrain CT
Smiz NY
Suicideissleep CT
The Coral Reef CT
Tinygiant (Chris) NH
Upstate Corals NY
UsefulIdiot CT
Vermont Aquatics VT
xclusive corals NJ
Zooanthids.com UT
Zybergoby NY

mnat

Officer Emeritus
Staff member
That is a nice list, congrats. I know it is very early, but is there a forum or area where people will be doing "presales/swaps" beforehand?

kschweer

Administrator
Staff member
Officer Emeritus
How many of you guys are heading up there? Any idea how long the drive is?

fitch4

Area Reef Club Officers
Thanks for the kind words!
There really isn't a presale spot. Most of the people who come just fill a tank and let people shop that day. I can say from previous years, that if you are looking for it. It is probably there! A few people will post things on whatever site they are from but I don't host a single site for the event. I just keep a list of who will be there and what will be in the raffle.

mnat

Officer Emeritus
Staff member
Thanks for the kind words!
There really isn't a presale spot. Most of the people who come just fill a tank and let people shop that day. I can say from previous years, that if you are looking for it. It is probably there! A few people will post things on whatever site they are from but I don't host a single site for the event. I just keep a list of who will be there and what will be in the raffle.

Makes sense and thank you for the response. This is going to be very tempting, that is a lot of people to see at one shot.

Hopefully if school wills it youll find kyle and I there. Im extremely jealous of anyone already knowing theyre going. It looks fantastic.