• Folks, if you've recently upgraded or renewed your annual club membership but it's still not active, please reach out to the BOD or a moderator. The PayPal system has a slight bug which it doesn't allow it to activate the account on it's own.

Cuban coral reef on 60 minutes

I hope some of you were fortunate to watch 60 minutes this evening. One of their stories was on the Cuban coral reef which is one of the few in the world that is still thriving. The fish population has also increased 30-50%. The reason for this rare success compared to other reef systems which are decaying every year is primarily due to the restrictions set by the government. No commercial fishing is allowed and only about 1000 divers allowed annually. Anderson Cooper was lucky enough to be visited by 200 lb grouper while diving. The marine biologist on site said this species of Grouper is almost extinct in the world yet still thrives in Cuba. The vast variety of coral and other inverts was a pleasure to see yet it is sad how other reef systems are slowly dying. They said up to 25% of the worlds reef have died off in the last twenty years and another 25% can be gone in twenty years if we continue to pollute, over fish and commercialize these reefs. Recent increase in water temperatures is also believed to cause "bleaching" in some coral colonies. They basically said Cuba's coral reef is like a reef which has been put in a time capsule in order to remain the same and thrive for so many years.. Its amazing how such an under developed country with so little resources can figure out a way to save these reefs and yet the rest of the world can only continue to destroy them. Even sometimes when i buy a fish i tend to ask myself are we part of the "problem or the solution"! How much is the US really doing to help preserve these eco systems? With the oceans so over commercialized and contaminated by man, will it ever come to a day when a yellow tang or a small piece of coral cost $300 !!!! Maybe not in our lifetime but that's were we're headed if things don't change on this planet!
BTW i was able to really appreciate the 60 minutes story because my father is Cuban and he always mentioned the beauty of the beaches and reefs in Cuba.