• Folks, if you've recently upgraded or renewed your annual club membership but it's still not active, please reach out to the BOD or a moderator. The PayPal system has a slight bug which it doesn't allow it to activate the account on it's own.

cyno bubbles

Alright so i looked at my tank today and noticed that there are bubbles but only on the cyno the rest of the sand bed is bubble free, is this weird and or a bad sign of anything? any help is appreciated and thanks in advance
and i have pictures but when i go to insert them it says its to big once i click post

normal for cyano. Agree with sid on how to reduce cyano. Main thing to realize though is that it appears because you are putting more nutrients (food/poop) into the tank than taking out.

rodclement

Officer Emeritus
Officer Emeritus
I just fought a cyano battle and I won! ;D I had a crash and the dye-off of inverts resulted in a lot of waste in the water and subsequent cyano outbreak.

Increase: Flow, aeration, water changes, and make sure your skimmer is working properly
Reduce: Feeding, and new stock addition.

If it's in the begining you should be fine but is scary how fast it multiplies!

Good luck! Rod

The_Codfather

Officer Emeritus
Officer Emeritus
The last resort is chemi clean.. I have used it one time and have been cyno free for 5 months.. my tank when i got it was covered in cyno due to the person using tap water before.. I forgot to ask are you vodka or suger dosing? if so you are just feeding the cyno

nope no vodka or sugar dosing, i just recently heard about that and i don't know enough to even think about it lol, but i guess its out of the question for me no matter what

im using r/o water from aquatic obsessions and im using instant oceans salt
i started the tank up about 3 months ago and i didnt know i couldnt use tap water so all of the first 56 gallons was tap
but i learned my lesson with the hair algea and ever since the first water change (10%att least once a week) has been r/o
but i wouldnt doubt it if that was the problem

well the salt was on sale at pets mart im guessing cause it wasnt selling. is that bad?
and how much flow? and i dont like pointing it down on the sand cause i feel it will throw the sand around

The bubbles are O2, which as it has reached saturation at that spot. Algae's do this also. However, in Cyano the bubbles often get trapped in a film so they are much more observable.