• Folks, if you've recently upgraded or renewed your annual club membership but it's still not active, please reach out to the BOD or a moderator. The PayPal system has a slight bug which it doesn't allow it to activate the account on it's own.

Dangerdave’s reef

D

Deleted member 27248

So cool news for me. I’ve melted the little bryopsis patches I’ve had in the euphyllia tank. I’ve contained it for a year with direct h2o2, which was easy enough I guess. I got lazy with it recently paying attn to other issues and they ended up becoming big long patches. Then I saw a patch in my display. I slightly elevated my magnesium and held it for a couple weeks. It’s all melted. Gone. I heard so many mixed reviews of this, but I I figured I had a gallon of mag that I’ve never needed to dose for a couple years. I bought enough fluconazole to treat the tank, it actually arrived today. I guess it’s going on the shelf, woohoo!
How long have you been dosing LC? Any negative reactions to the tank? Can it be used forever?

DangerDave

NJRC Member
How long have you been dosing LC? Any negative reactions to the tank? Can it be used forever?

I’ve just started. It’s a little over a week now. I’ve turned off the reactor that’s been running rowaphos (2-3 cups). The reactor needed the gfo replaced every 5-7 days. I’ve also turned off my algae scrubber. For now this is my only phosphate removal method.

I have had zero negative effects, but it’s too early to be sure. From the reading I’ve been doing I don’t expect any. I’m trying to keep my phosphates just above readable on Hanna ULR. I the current dose is enough to lower my phosphates by .23ppm daily. It hasn’t had to be changed in 3 days. It’s doing the same thing the gfo was doing, but my reading have been much more steady than with gfo.

You have to make sure to be able to capture the precipitation that occurs. It’s very fine. Some people are dosing into a 5 micron sock. I’m dosing directly into the body of my skimmer. I’ve yet to get any clouding in my tank using this method. I’m diluting each dose in RO, and dosing over a 24 hour period with a dosing pump.

Here is a calculator for popular lanthanum chloride products that a Reefer from r2r created. Not needed, but a nice quick and easy reference.

I sure hope it can be used forever :), because this is the plan moving forward. Well at least until I leech out all the phosphates I’ve bound to my rocks over the years. After I go through this bottle of brightwell phosphate e, I’m moving to seaklear, it’s much more concentrated and a bottle should last until I have to tear everything down in a few years.

DangerDave

NJRC Member
Ok so the deep blue I had turned out to be tempered. It imploded as I broke through.

8F0F6326-D37E-4C76-8E85-A6E0C2D95863.jpeg

I dropped it off at the recycling center, I watched as they crushed it into the truck. The only panel that I could’ve drilled was the bottom. I like using tables, so it’s the only panel I wouldn’t of drilled lol.

I went to the aquarium center, they were out of stock of low boys. I called hidden reef as they’re the only other place I knew that stocked em, also out. I ended up buying a reef ready frag tank from AC. Lol go figure I now had to drill my table anyway. At least I got the 12” depth I wanted for this one.

So, the holding tank is ready.

33B685F0-BBA5-45DE-ACB2-4F08FA744A91.jpeg

Next project, put the drain in. I think I’ll redo the display first though.

DangerDave

NJRC Member
Here’s the drain I built. It will replace the separate drains for 4 frag tanks, the chiller, and the algae scrubber. It will flow into an additional klir7.

0C32F45C-D5EE-4DA4-97F2-865B9D512F49.jpeg

amado

Dal
Staff member
Board of Directors
NJRC Member
Ok so the deep blue I had turned out to be tempered. It imploded as I broke through.

View attachment 33922

I dropped it off at the recycling center, I watched as they crushed it into the truck. The only panel that I could’ve drilled was the bottom. I like using tables, so it’s the only panel I wouldn’t of drilled lol.

I went to the aquarium center, they were out of stock of low boys. I called hidden reef as they’re the only other place I knew that stocked em, also out. I ended up buying a reef ready frag tank from AC. Lol go figure I now had to drill my table anyway. At least I got the 12” depth I wanted for this one.

So, the holding tank is ready.

View attachment 33925

Next project, put the drain in. I think I’ll redo the display first though.

Oh man that sucks. I didn’t know that tank was tempered.

DangerDave

NJRC Member
Nah, is what it is. I shoulda tested it first and I could of avoided this whole ordeal lol.

Just smile and wave boys, smile and wave :)

Just got my njrc shirt, woohoo thanks again @Mark_C !!

With things looking good in the holding tank, I decided it was time to put it to use. I was able to get this monti out of the display, about 80% intact. I have some pieces in the holding tank, the rest it still in the DT.

8DAF7DCC-8452-4B4C-80A7-A1A27779BAD3.jpeg40752807-8B74-464A-B26F-DAE42DB9099A.jpeg

amado

Dal
Staff member
Board of Directors
NJRC Member