• Folks, if you've recently upgraded or renewed your annual club membership but it's still not active, please reach out to the BOD or a moderator. The PayPal system has a slight bug which it doesn't allow it to activate the account on it's own.

David's 90g Upgrade

90 Gallon Upgrade Thread (Take 2: after njreefers 1 year data loss)

I will try to re-document what was lost (for my own records if nothing else)

Home Built Stand April 2011
IMAG0034.jpg

IMAG0038.jpg

TanksNStuff

Officer Emeritus
Officer Emeritus
Looks great David. Love the stand and hood, you did a great job on those!

Any more recent pics? It looks like you had a lot more in the 28g that I don't see in the 90g. ;)

Thanks so much. The stand looks pretty good as long as you don't look at the stain job real close.

Full Tank Shot
IMAG0257.jpg

Right Side
IMAG0259.jpg

Left Side
IMAG0258.jpg

I just picked up 22 frags (mix of LPS, SPS and some Zoa's) for about $140 (shipped) from MrCoral.com. (You see some of them in the pic above. The frags were a little small, but for the price and the number I am very happy. Some nice acan's (2-3 heads). I am acclimating them now and hopefully they will grow into nice pieces.

Fish:

1) Black And White Clown (Had since Fall of 2008)
IMAG0248.jpg

2) Blue Mandarin (Had since Fall of 2008 also)
(Picked this guy up at AO when I saw him eat Mysis)
IMAG0254.jpg

2 b)
IMAG0252.jpg

3) Yellow Tang (Got May 2011)
I love this guy. You will probably see him in a lot of pics. He is a camera hog. I have to work hard to get a picture without him in it.
IMAG0246.jpg

7) Yellow Watchman Goby (Picked up May 2011)
Didn't see him for 3 weeks after I put him in. Now he comes out and is very personable (near his bolt hole)
IMAG0247.jpg

(Sorry these aren't great pics. Just from my phone becuase it is easy to upload.)

8 ) Green Chromis (Picked up May 2011)
(Somehow I missed getting a picture of him)
9) Firefish (Picked up May 2011)
IMAG0251.jpg

That is all for now (9 fish).

I am hoping to get another small tang. Either a Kole Tang or a Tomini Tang.

Well, I have had some bad luck and sad news.

My Yellow Tang stopped eating a couple of days ago, and then went downhill very fast. I think it was HLLE. I unfortunately think that I contributed to the problem by not feeding him enough "greens" in the beginning. It is really confusing because he seemed to be doing so well. Shortly after stopping eating his fins started rotting and his skin started peeling on the top and bottom.

He was my first "larger" fish (he was medium sized) since I upgraded to the 90. I want to replace him, but I feel guilty and I want to make sure that all of my other fish continue to do well for a few weeks (Right now all the other fish and coral look great and my parameters are all good). I know sometimes things happen, but I haven't lost many fish over the years so it is still a bit sad.

I had him about 2 months.

Sorry to hear about your Tang but from the sound of it, it doesn't seem your fault at all. A lot of people have had bad luck with yellow tangs. I think that's why they are so cheap these days. I tried one once and it died on me within a couple of months from ich. I am having great luck with a small/medium Tomini Tang that I have had for almost a year now. Beautiful fish.

fatoldsun

NJRC Member
Sorry to hear David - Always tough to lose a friend in the tank. Since we are at the mercy of the fish's unknown histroy (unless you get it as a fry) you never know what stage of the life cycle they are in when you add them to your system. It may have been an older fish and regardless of what you fed, this may have been it's time. Besides, unless your tank is algae free I doubt that was the issue.