• Folks, if you've recently upgraded or renewed your annual club membership but it's still not active, please reach out to the BOD or a moderator. The PayPal system has a slight bug which it doesn't allow it to activate the account on it's own.

Device to take pictures within tank

Hey guys - I understand there is a device out there thatcan be submerged with a camera inside to help improve picture quality. Ihad seen it at a couple reefer's places at meetings. Unfortunately, the reeferthat held the last one is not currently in the hobby. The camera I have is aLumix which is 'ok' from an amateurs perspective and supposed to be waterproof; however, I have beenhesitant to test it with saltwater

My current pictures do not retain the colors of corals well through the thickglass.

Does anyone know where I could get this device? My wife did recently get a newNikon digital SLR, but I would need to educate myself to the complexities yetand I just don't have the time at the moment. To start, I think we need aspecial lense like a macro

I am certainly open for other suggestions. I have yet to read on the starterthreads for photography, so if anyone has a link handy that would help as well

Thanks in adv

pics

Bob please the pics I took with my Samsung underwater camera. (cheap Costco )
Pictures have not been modified

Attachments

• SAM_0059.jpg
    SAM_0059.jpg
    93.2 KB · Views: 66
  • SAM_0067.jpg
    SAM_0067.jpg
    94.2 KB · Views: 56

TanksNStuff

Officer Emeritus
Officer Emeritus
Before you buy any waterproof camera, please send me a PM. I have a brand new in box Canon D20 waterproof camera with a 4 GB memory card that I won at the DVRC frag swap.

They sell on Amazon for $290 without the SD card but I was planning on putting it all up on craigslist for $200.

I previously had a Canon D10 and it took fantastic underwater pics. I even used it scuba diving and snorkeling and it worked great. Unfortunately, I stuck it in my tank and forgot to close the rubber grommet that protects the USB connection for the computer and it instantly fried it. The D20 is a newer/better model and if my wife didn't just buy me a new Canon DSLR for my birthday... I'd be happily using this thing right now.

Here are a couple shots that I took with my D10:

Snorkeling

IMG_0283.jpg

IMG_0439.jpg

Video is pretty good too (click image to play it):

In my tank

IMG_0843.jpg

SunFeb07191053AmericaNew_York2010.jpg

Anyway, if anyone is interested before I put it on craigslist this weekend, send me a PM.

Here is the one I have if your anywhere near 08816 your more then welcome to borrow it to see if you like it..
i know avast marine used to make one that attaches just to the lens but I tried searching for it couldn't find it so not sure if they make it anymore...
http://www.melevsreef.com/topdown.html
Nice product and incredible macro shots from Meleev there, although I am using a small palm sized camera, so I am not sure this would help. In fact, thinking about it more I am not sure what I am looking for as these other guys are going right into the water with waterproof cameras

I'm having a hard time imagining on how I can point this camera and focus it while be submerged.

I once saw a product which was a box that incorporated a mirror to give the reefer a view from the side of the tank inside of looking straight down and guessing where to point and focus

Guys just a cheap alternative. Black PVC pipe, piece of acrylic, seal well..... off to the races! That's all I use for my top down shots. Just make sure it's deep enough for your lense and large enough to get your hands around the lense to focus.

TanksNStuff

Officer Emeritus
Officer Emeritus
Whoa..... paying off a speeding ticket??? Are those photos taken with one George?

LOL, no ticket to pay off. I'm trying to start a tank upgrade fund. My 75 is too full to put more stuff and I'm going to be buying a bunch at the Swap!

Those pics I posted were taken with the Canon D10 waterproof point and shoot. The first 3 were from snorkeling in Grand Cayman, the last two were inside my tank. With the macro setting, I could get up real close to the frags and the large LCD screen showed what I was taking a pic of. The one I'm selling is the newer version D20... so I'd imagine it's as good or better.

I like your PVC Pipe + acrylic idea. I may have to try that for my DSLR.

I've got a guy who takes photos with his Iphone with an underwater case. Dunks it right in my frag tank, shoots, and wipes it off. They actually come out pretty good.