• Folks, if you've recently upgraded or renewed your annual club membership but it's still not active, please reach out to the BOD or a moderator. The PayPal system has a slight bug which it doesn't allow it to activate the account on it's own.

Dino

Karenvas2

Officer Emeritus
Officer Emeritus
Finally got my cyano outbreak under control only to have a serious outbreak of dinos. Has anyone tried any methods that has been successful? Tank is looking very ugly.

First, are you sure they are dinos?

I had a BAD outbreak in my sons tank last year. My first attempt was chemiclean just to make sure it was not cyano. Obviously it did nothing so I moved on to manual removal and water changes. All this did was fuel them, and further reading on the matter supported that response. At that point any and all WC's were stopped, and peroxide dosing began. Each night at lights out I added the suggested amount of peroxide and each morning I noticed a bit less Dinos. I did this for about 2 weeks and seemed to have it beat. Well........NOPE. I accidental skimmer overflow brought them back worse then ever. So back to the dosing, only this time it was accompanied by a 6 day blackout. This did nothing to affect the corals except they lost a touch of color. the dinos were killing them, so a loss of color was ok in my book. During the lights out and peroxide dosing I fed very, very little. I also added macro to the sump and it started growing like mad. Lights back on and a second week of dosing and, Knock on Wood, I have not seen any more since then.

So my suggestion:

No WC's
Lights out
Peroxide
Fast growing Macro

I would do at least a week of lights out and 2 weeks of peroxide. I did not do a water change for almost 3 months.
Good Luck

john90009

NJRC Member
On my 75 i got very lucky with cutting back my light cycle and a few days of pitch black darkness. I had an oversized skimmer which did work during this time, washed all my food prior to adding it to clean it. Also when i brought the lights back up i cut back on the photoperiod and did massive water changes because i transferred to a new 75 gallon, the corals exploded at that point.

Hope you got things under control. I struggled with this problem and had some success with peroxide but this treatment would not last long. After going through tank blackouts and peroxide treatments, I just could not beat it until I broke down and got CHEMICLEAN. It did the trick but it took out my skimmer for a week even with massive water changes. Now I have sand sifters prevent any future outbreaks.