• Folks, if you've recently upgraded or renewed your annual club membership but it's still not active, please reach out to the BOD or a moderator. The PayPal system has a slight bug which it doesn't allow it to activate the account on it's own.

Dipping Corals

I've just finished setting up a Frag/Coral QT Tank. It's a 58 gallon so it's large enough to take in alot of my corals now.

I want to dip everything before it goes into the new tank. I wanna treat zoas, sps, and lps. I know there are certain medications that take care of each problem.

My question is can I make one dip for all these corals or do I need a seperate dip for each type. Or can I make one dip for all of them (like lugols) and then dip each seperate later on.

When all the corals are in the new tank i'm going to be dosing interceptor for redbugs as well. I want to make sure these corals are absolutely clean.

Also if anyone has any recepies or advice just let me know here. Thanks.

Mike

Definitely not an expert opinion, but FWIW, I have been concerned about possible interactions between dips, so I always dip separately.

When I get new SPS corals, I like to do an Interceptor bath for at least an hour (for Red Bugs), swish in SW, into a TMPCC dip for 15 min (for AEFWs not necessarily a cure but a great way to check for them IME) , swish in SW into a light Lugols or Betadine dip for like 5 min ( I feel this just helps the coral rebound from the TMPCC as it's pretty harsh) , swish in SW, and into the tank, one day I'll have my coral QT set up and they will go there for 3-4 weeks first.

I haven't gotten any LPS or zoos in a while, but those I'd dip in the Lugols/Betadine only.

QT is the way to go, sounds like you have a good plan for the move. When I finally set up my 220, all corals will go through an isolation period in what will be my 90 g frag tank first where I'll treat for the everything as you are planning. An upgrade is a great opportunity to do this.

Yeah, I'm taking everything out of my 120 .. even the fish. I'm gonna rearrange the rockwork and then add everything back in. I'm using this opportunity to treat my corals and also clean off the feather dusters that have become more than annoying. They're all over my rock.

I'm just afraid that if I put another fish in there that my Achilles Tang and Desarjini won't give it a chance to go to work. They are both pretty aggressive toward eachother and the last fish I put in there jumped after all the harrasment.

But if I get the opportunity I think I would love to have a small copperband butterfly.

OK... here's my plan for tomorrow.

I'm gonna take a 2 five gallon buckets and fill them halfway with RO.

I'll use the first one for dipping and the second one for rinsing.

I'm gonna do 40drops of Lugol's, 2-3 drops of flatworm exit. Let them soak for 30 minutes.

After that i'm gonna swish them around in the clean RO and then put them in my 58 gallon frag tank.

I'm gonna do this twice. Once this week and once next week.

After I transfer all my corals i'm going to treat the whole 58 gallon tank with interceptor.

Anyone think I could be doing more?

Phyl said:
RO? I wouldn't be doing this with RO. Salted water, no?!

I think you're right ... this is why I posted this. I was ready to use RO tomorrow. :-[

RO treatment is for fish.. what was I thinking.

Phyl

Officer Emeritus
Officer Emeritus
I wouldn't even RO SW fish... Yes. Salted. You can swish in SW, depending on what you're trying to eliminate (FW, for example), but most things won't be affected by it fast enough to kill the thing and not harm the coral.

Phyl

Officer Emeritus
Officer Emeritus
What are you trying to cure? Are all these things in your display yet? Anything you KNOW to be wrong? Why are you putting all of your existing corals in QT?

I want to put all corals in QT and then strip my tank down. I need to reaquascape and i'm using this as an opportunity to treat all my corals for anything that could be wrong. I noticed some zoas melting (maybe pox.. hence the furan-2) and I also noticed redbugs. I don't want to treat my tank for the redbugs until I can transfer my snails, fish and coral to the 58. I'm doing it in steps.

First the corals(treating them in the 58 before adding the snails.)

Then the Fish and Snails.

Then taking out the rock and sand. Cleaning the rock and tossing the sand away.

Then I'm gonna add the rock back with brand new aquascape.

Treat the main tank with interceptor to rid any and everything but mainly redbugs.

Then I'll add my fish. Then the snails. Then the coral.

From that point on I'll QT everything using the 58.

I'll be doing this very slow. The whole process will probably take a 4-6 weeks.

Phyl

Officer Emeritus
Officer Emeritus
As long as you fallow your main of acros you don't need to interceptor it. They can't live beyond 6d without host acros to live on.

Phyl said:
As long as you fallow your main of acros you don't need to interceptor it. They can't live beyond 6d without host acros to live on.

So I won't have to treat my main tank with the interceptor... only the 58 gallon with the acros in it?

Phyl

Officer Emeritus
Officer Emeritus
As long as there is no rock with acro in your main, yes. Per Eric Borneman.

Phyl

Officer Emeritus
Officer Emeritus
As long as there is no acropora on the rock, it does NOT need to be treated, as long as it is left fallow for at least 6 days.

Phyl said:
As long as there is no acropora on the rock, it does NOT need to be treated, as long as it is left fallow for at least 6 days.

Thanks again Phyl. I'm actually feeling alot less worried now. I appreciate it.

and treat any acro encrusted rock, even a speck of encrustation has to be removed from the main tank to fallow it properly