• Folks, if you've recently upgraded or renewed your annual club membership but it's still not active, please reach out to the BOD or a moderator. The PayPal system has a slight bug which it doesn't allow it to activate the account on it's own.

Dipping Corals

I just learned something new about red bugs and fallow period. awesome. I have to make a mental note of that. Good luck mike. I hope it all works out for ya

I have always dipped my Acros in Fresh water and swoshed them around for a few minuets.
Then to a Interceptor bath
Then back to the Fresh water
If there are Flatworms you will see them come off in the Fresh water

Jason

the SPS that i have put in my 50 have all been fresh water dipped & treated for red bugs also use iodine dip, i learned a hard leason on my 210 & now i know better.
i have also dipped any LPS that has been put in that tank in fresh water, when i dip then it's like for 3 seconds in fresh water move them around pull it out & do it again for a total of 3 times then in to the bucket with interceptor & last is the iodine dip.
as far as fish i would never fresh water dip a fish.

Phyl

Officer Emeritus
Officer Emeritus
What's the survival rate on that? I can only imagine the losses would be high, no?

Phyl said:
What's the survival rate on that? I can only imagine the losses would be high, no?

If you make sure to match the ph and temp to the tank you are adding the corals too, it's not as stressful. I use to do it for all zoas and lps. Now I just do it for the zoas (sometimes)

Also I found out the hard way that freshwater and leathers are not friends. :eek:

My current process is to drip acclamate and then add FEW and Lugols and bathe for 5-10 minutes, swishing several times.

The few SPS I get I treat the same way. If I get bugs, I'll just go back to being SPS free.

Phyla to be honest with u i have never lost an SPS due to fresh water did
they slime like crazy & that's about it, i used to put them on the counter
walk away for 6 to 8 minutes let them get all goopy & then in the tank
they went but that's how i got red bugs.

steve68 said:
Phyla to be honest with u i have never lost an SPS due to fresh water did
they slime like crazy & that's about it, i used to put them on the counter
walk away for 6 to 8 minutes let them get all goopy & then in the tank
they went but that's how i got red bugs.

That's how you GOT redbugs or GOT RID of redbugs?

Phyl

Officer Emeritus
Officer Emeritus
Not treating new arrivals is what allowed red bugs into his system. Allowing them to slime is a great way to acclimate if you don't have to worry about what pests they're bringing along. He's now going to be doing a FWD in order to prevent future outbreaks.

Thanks, Steve. Good to know. Apart from temp, do you worry about getting the PH the same (that seems like too much work)? Temperature? Do you use RO?

i don't worry about the PH at all but temperature yes, after I'm done acclimating i put it in a bag & float it for 15 minutes & in to the tank it goes & yes i use RO water but if u are talking about the temperature of the RO water that I'm going to dip it in i just make sure it's not to cold like below 60 if it is i nuke it for 3 to 5 seconds depending on how good Ur nuker is (AKA microwave)

Steve, are these the correct steps that you do? I've never treated any of my corals. Since I will be upgrading soon, I might as well start

SPS Acclimation Only

1 - Acclimate the coral with tank water
2 - Make RO water and correct temp to match tank water in seperate container
3 - Swish it around in RO water for 3 seconds, pull it out and do it again for a total of 3 times. (How long do you leave them out the water before swishing it again in RO?)
4 - Put in a container/bucket with interceptor. (How long do you leave it in there?)
5 - Lastly, do a iodine dip (Do you rinse it again in RO water to remove the iodine off the coral before putting it in the tank?)

ricwilli
this is the way i do it
1- fresh water did coral with RO/DI, i swish it around for about 20 seconds pull out & do it again 3 times total
2- start acclimating with interceptor mixed in for about 1 hour ( i use an air stone )
3- then i take the coral put it in some tank water in another little bucket & treat it with iodine for about 10 minutes..
4- in to the quarantine tank & keep on eye on it.