• Folks, if you've recently upgraded or renewed your annual club membership but it's still not active, please reach out to the BOD or a moderator. The PayPal system has a slight bug which it doesn't allow it to activate the account on it's own.

Do Clownfish Jump?

I've been going to Hanover Pet aka Aquatic Visions in East Hanover. I've yet to try Animal House in Butler. Maybe one night this week.

Big Rotties said:
Paula were do you go too for your LFS?

And I found the fish tonight. In my dining room, about 25 feet from the tank. So I guess it did jump and my cat found it. *sigh*

Never bin to Hanover pets ,but Animal House is a small place but Very nice.If you have questions ask for RJ.He knows his stuff (he use to be in the wholesale side of the business).He's bin around for a long time!

rottie, is that on long island. if its what i am thinking they have a program on april 17 . there is suppose to be a bunch of speakers there including anthony calfo. i have been talking to him on reef frontiers another cool site. i believe he is also going to be in philly on the 16th. i was planning on going to the one in philly but my wife made other plans. the 17th may be another story though..lol steve

bozothereefer i readed that in a magazine a few years ago, im looking for it and thats why i dont answer before i still looking, but i know that the parameters change easier i dont remember if they go up faster or down but like i said im looking for the magazine i read it so i can probe what i said, and it depends in the tank, if you dont have sump everything will be different, and she sound like a real newbie,

Brian

Officer Emeritus
Officer Emeritus
Just to jump in here.. I would say the no glass top as well.
I have a 90 and a 120 and neither of them has a top. I believe in the whole gas exchange thing. You can't count on your skimmer for that. Unless you have a monster of a skimmer. Plus with glass tops they get covered with salt spray and that will block out tons of light.

Sorry to hear about your clownfish!

hey reef drumz, usually the glass tops have condensation on the bottom. not much salt creep on top. like i said earlier i believe it more to be a personal preference. leave the tops on and you get a little condensation but less top offs. leave them off and you get salt creep from evaporation all over your lights and the sides of your tank. for the most of us using halides, i dont believe that there is a 22% light loss especially within the spectrums we use. For normal output strip lights they are going to do what you want them to do regardless of the tops. you can keep live rock, fish and some corals, although i wouldnt reccomend them for the latter. as far as the air exchange its not only from the skimmer but through overflows,sumps etc. if you have a sump with a skimmer i would think you would get plenty of air exchange.

kabal, usually in smaller tanks like a 20 gallon things can go bad pretty quick. there is a lot of contributing factors to the demise of a tank in rapid succession. improper husbanry like not siphoning out detritus on a routine basis. not doing the proper water changes, not checking parameters and fixing them before they go south, overfeeding, lights not being changed when they are dying out, alot of people run sandbeds and then overload them with too much livestock. once they are overloaded they release all of those nasties( nitrates, phosphates) back into your water. improper water flows, not enough or too much for certain corals. i believe it was dr. ron that only suggests 4 fish to a ninety gallon tank. most of us keep way more. years ago people werent trying to keep alot of the things we keep today. they were using wet drys, canisters an hang on backs for fish only tanks. which was fine for that and still is. now with most reefers keeping hard corals, live rock and protien skimming seems to be the way. fish can accept certain levels of nitrates and thats were the other filters stop. the live rock converts the nitrates to harmless nitrogen gas which goes to the surface ( air exchange). which the corals like. people running strong halides usually keep off the tops more for evaporative cooling.