• Folks, if you've recently upgraded or renewed your annual club membership but it's still not active, please reach out to the BOD or a moderator. The PayPal system has a slight bug which it doesn't allow it to activate the account on it's own.

do we have high chloromines in nj?

redfishbluefish

Officer Emeritus
Officer Emeritus
Your DI resin is shot.

Here's my recommendations:

1. Don't leave you RO/DI ON all the time.
2. Get a dual inline TDS meter that measures TDS before and after DI resin.
200031-TDS-Meter-Dual-Inline-DM-1-a_1.jpg

3. Pick up a diverter valve to run the first five minutes or so down the drain (until pre-DI TDS is down to 3 or so).
206000-John-Guest-3-Way-Ball-Valve-1-4-inch-QC_1.jpg

As far as whether you have chlorine or chloramine....I don't believe it matters. Either one is removed by carbon block and/or RO membrane. They do sell chloramine carbon blocks, but I don't think it matters. If you wish to find out what your water company uses, simply call them. In Sayreville, we are still on chlorine.

ryanpal

NJRC Member
Your DI resin is shot.

Here's my recommendations:

1. Don't leave you RO/DI ON all the time.
2. Get a dual inline TDS meter that measures TDS before and after DI resin.
200031-TDS-Meter-Dual-Inline-DM-1-a_1.jpg

3. Pick up a diverter valve to run the first five minutes or so down the drain (until pre-DI TDS is down to 3 or so).
206000-John-Guest-3-Way-Ball-Valve-1-4-inch-QC_1.jpg

As far as whether you have chlorine or chloramine....I don't believe it matters. Either one is removed by carbon block and/or RO membrane. They do sell chloramine carbon blocks, but I don't think it matters. If you wish to find out what your water company uses, simply call them. In Sayreville, we are still on chlorine.

i don't think the DI resin is shot, there isn't even 50 gallons through it and it's still mostly black.

When you replaced your DI resin, did you tamp it down in the cartridge, tightly compacting it? If not, you may be getting some channeling through it, giving you a reading on the output.

ryanpal

NJRC Member
When you replaced your DI resin, did you tamp it down in the cartridge, tightly compacting it? If not, you may be getting some channeling through it, giving you a reading on the output.

i tamped it down on the table but perhaps i need to tamp it even more?

Aquarium Care Center

Sponsor
Gold Sponsor
If you have chloromines in your water and want to save your resin you should use our chloromine blasting carbon. We sell in refill form loose. You will need a refill cartridge which we sell for 9.99 the carbon. Please email us or call the store if you need more help. We are short handed and cant monitor all of the forums efficiently if we don't get right back to you.