• Folks, if you've recently upgraded or renewed your annual club membership but it's still not active, please reach out to the BOD or a moderator. The PayPal system has a slight bug which it doesn't allow it to activate the account on it's own.

"Don't have time for a water change"

Silly right? While browsing elsewhere, I saw a person who had an issue posted and was told to do a large water change to help (good advice in this case) but the OP replied that "they didn't have time for a water change". I fully understand time limitations but really? They are clearly in the wrong hobby, a waterchange is about as simple as it gets.

Sorry had to rant

I have a friend that is the exact same way. I'll give you a good example. He lives 2 houses away from me and I have known him since preschool. He came to the meeting on Saturday and gave me $5 to put in the raffle. He one some some zoa frag. My wife walked it and a bottle of Revive over to his house after the meeting. I asked him yesterday if I could walk over and pick up the revive. He said he had not had time to dip the frag and that it was still just floating in the bag from Saturday...

Yup. Perfectly fine. It was open when I walked over to get the Revive. I couldn't tell you the last time he changed the water. It is a canister filter. He only has 1 fish that I bet he feeds 1x a week. He has some Xenia and now 2 different kinds of zoas. I give him crap all the time for it

Yup. Perfectly fine. It was open when I walked over to get the Revive. I couldn't tell you the last time he changed the water. It is a canister filter. He only has 1 fish that I bet he feeds 1x a week. He has some Xenia and now 2 different kinds of zoas. I give him crap all the time for it
Yikes. Hopefully you get to him

I know which post you're talking about. I thought the same thing. If you don't have time to save your corals and do a water change then you're basically pissing your money away Lol don't get it

falconut

NJRC Member
That's crazy. It doesn't take much time to dip a coral. Most of the time is waiting, you can do plenty of other things while you're waiting.

I don't do too many water changes these days either, but not because of time. Over the years, I've done small weekly, larger monthly and almost none and seem to have better luck with fewer. Of course maintaining the levels is critical.

I'm not sure why you'd want to keep a reef if you didn't want to spend at least a little time on it. Isn't that the fun of it?

TanksNStuff

Officer Emeritus
Officer Emeritus
That's crazy. It doesn't take much time to dip a coral. Most of the time is waiting, you can do plenty of other things while you're waiting.

I don't do too many water changes these days either, but not because of time. Over the years, I've done small weekly, larger monthly and almost none and seem to have better luck with fewer. Of course maintaining the levels is critical.

I'm not sure why you'd want to keep a reef if you didn't want to spend at least a little time on it. Isn't that the fun of it?
Maybe not the "fun" of it, but the satisfaction that these creatures survive because I care for them is definitely part of it. I don't understand why people pay all that money for a tank setup and then pay someone else to maintain it. Where's the sense of responsibility? I guess some people with the money to spare just don't appreciate the whole concept of caring for the animals and just want the "look what I have" feeling. :frown:

The dutch have a system (DRS) of not doing water changes with great results, but you practically need to be chemist to run it.

mnat

Officer Emeritus
Staff member
There is a big difference with not doing a water change because you have a system setup to eliminate or control harmful things in your aquarium, and just not doing one beacuse you are lazy.

There is a big difference with not doing a water change because you have a system setup to eliminate or control harmful things in your aquarium, and just not doing one beacuse you are lazy.
+1 I actually love/hate doing water changes. I love it bc I get to siphon out all the gunk that makes my tank look bad but I hate it bc its annoying Lol BUT its a must in my tank. I'll never say I don't have time for a water change bc it could be a matter of life in death for the livestock inside.