• Folks, if you've recently upgraded or renewed your annual club membership but it's still not active, please reach out to the BOD or a moderator. The PayPal system has a slight bug which it doesn't allow it to activate the account on it's own.

Dosing alk with doser

I have taken down my CA reactor ever since my tank crash and have been dosing alk manually. I'm looking into a doser to do this job. Currently I'm dosing 1.5ml a day. I would like to know from people who uses a doser, if they have to constantly clean the output of the hose where the alk comes out cause of the alk encrustation.

Thanks

Sunny

NJRC Member
Article Contributor
I am using BRS dosing pumps. I do have to cut off a 1/4 inch tubing every two/three weeks. I have seen it is better if the dosing tubing is facing down into my sump rather than being horizontal.

I am still using dosing pumps on my 80g but will be taking them down once I can combine systems and use the ca reactor. I have noticed the same thing as Sunny mentioned so make sure the tube is faced down. I have also noticed that you have to lubricate the rubber piston every few months otherwise nothing will be dosed....found this out the hard way.

Do the BRS doser do a good job from preventing siphoning when the tubing is facing down into the sump?
Steve, I'm guessing that you have BRS dosers as well?

Do the BRS doser do a good job from preventing siphoning when the tubing is facing down into the sump?
Steve, I'm guessing that you have BRS dosers as well?

there's no siphoning at all. I have both the brs and drews pumps. they are very similar.

Sent from my SCH-I510 using Tapatalk 2

arvin

NJRC Member
I use GHL standalone doser and love them. No issues whatsoever. I do have the tubing placed vertically.

Is that a typo? 1.5mL PER DAY? Which product? You mean 1.5mL per gallon per day right? And I also have the precipitate build up on the end of the alk tube, but I have never messed with it and it doesn't seem to be a problem?

Good catch sjfishguy. I meant 1.5 oz per day.

Hey Arvin, where did you get the GHL from? How it working for you?

For some reason I was thinking that there were 15mL per ounce, but yeah, you are right 30mL to an ounce. To answer your question people that have a light demand like you seem to have, get away with alk replenishment from water changes alone. But at 45mL per day in such a large volume, you are right, it probably better to dose.

arvin

NJRC Member
Hey Arvin, where did you get the GHL from? How it working for you?

I got it brand new from a guy in MR since he wasn't planning to use it. I believe I paid like $350 at that time. I know they are expensive but they worked very well for me. You calibrate it once and never have to tinker with it.