• Folks, if you've recently upgraded or renewed your annual club membership but it's still not active, please reach out to the BOD or a moderator. The PayPal system has a slight bug which it doesn't allow it to activate the account on it's own.

Ds4x4's Marineland 120 Re-Build

Since stopping over to Terri and Ant's and seeing their new cube, I just gotta set up my 120 again. I figured I would go ahead and start a new thread for the Re-Build in the New House...

Plans-

Full Reef
Reef Keeper Controller
Dual Mp40's
BRS Dual GFO/Carbon Reactor
Thinking about the Reeflo Blowhole pump
Canopy build
Eventually full LED but using the 8x54 nova extreme for starters.

I have a concrete crawlspace and 2x8joists but, i'll be putting a couple jacks under the joists as a precaution. looking to start painting the black pine stand and start setting the tank up around the end of this week.

Hey Bradon I got my new Led light today and it looks great, and one other thing I have alot of corals for sale so lets get the 120 setup now. LOL

Have to stop n see it this weekend. Hoping to have the tank and rock setup ready for water, if you get that skimmer sold we could move a little faster......

Sent from my SCH-I500 using Tapatalk 2

the aspirating bubble blaster yes. I should have been more specific and said the bubble blaster HY-7000 for example.

I was thinking about the Blowhole but i dont like the flow vs watt usage compared to other pumps

Stand is getting sanded and painted tomorrow, tank gets a vinegar bath. looking to have the tank ready for rock by tuesday, unknown when sand and water at this point...

Stand has been sanded, we are just trying to figure out where exactly to set the tank up in the house and i washed down the tank. My big issue right now is trying to figure out what to do about a sump.. I have the tank off so i can get a bigger sump that would not fit through the side of the stand but, if i ever wanted to have a different sump or a problem occurred i would have to take the tank down to get it out.

on that note. the Oceanic Model 3 i have will fit in the stand, as will the Eshopps pro reef that will fit through the side of the stand. i do love the big refuge in the OC-3 or i could just put the monster skimmer in, which i already have but i would love to get a smaller cone skimmer. I did use the pro reef at one point with the C-Skim1800 my brother is using but i did not like how I had it setup.. welcome to my dilemma, I need the clubs help on this one.

Looks like i'll be keeping my Es-hopps sump as a spare and buying the Protean 400 deluxe* (* comes w/ let, tom, onion). I tried to figure out a way to use the OC-3 but the stand is too small to ever be able to get a skimmer in or out of it once the tank is setup.

Well under way. hoping tomorrow will see rock, sand and water to start the cycle.

Using Instant Ocean to start, I still do have some Bio-Actif left.

Attachments

• uploadfromtaptalk1343190832055.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1343190832055.jpg
    13.3 KB · Views: 68
  • uploadfromtaptalk1343190843065.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1343190843065.jpg
    22.5 KB · Views: 63
  • uploadfromtaptalk1343190851376.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1343190851376.jpg
    9.2 KB · Views: 61
tank has rock, sand and salt water. circulating now to clear the haze. thanks to Terrri, Ant and Joe for the help... Rumor has it there is quite the video floating around.

mnat

Officer Emeritus
Staff member
Hopefully an interpretive dance expressing the joy of setting a new fish tank up?

Hopefully an interpretive dance expressing the joy of setting a new fish tank up?

rumored to show proof of Reefer Heresy in progress

Tank has cleared up so we are beginning to put together a future stock list of fish and inverts. Most likely going to have a bunch of SPS some LPS & maybe a select few soft corals when the time comes. We have a few snails, hermits, a Green Chromis and a Black Brittle Star to move from the nano along with a couple different mushrooms, a SPS Rock and Orange Zoas.

I ran the same sump on my 120 and loved it

Its working out nicley so far. today I tossed in a cube of prime reef and some flake food to give the cycle a kick. I added 3/4 bottle of bio spira I had from the nano but all the rock I put in was dried for 1.5yrs so little that will really do.

Its a waiting game at this point

Did a 30 gal water change the other day to try and drop the Nitrates but it did not seem to make a dent. checked the levels today and the amonnia has dropped to .25ppm and nitrites are between 2 ppm and 5 ppm. Nitrates are up around 40ppm. I'm not sure if my water has nitrates in it or there was nitrates stuck in the rock and is now being released since the nano is reading 0 nitrates. I had originally palced the rock in the trashcan while it was still live to try and sell 2 years ago but the bottom got a hole in it and all the water leaked out so i left the rock to dry, maybe i should have rinsed it off before using it again but too late now.