• Folks, if you've recently upgraded or renewed your annual club membership but it's still not active, please reach out to the BOD or a moderator. The PayPal system has a slight bug which it doesn't allow it to activate the account on it's own.

Dynoflagellates

diana a

Staff member
NJRC Member
What’s the difference between these?

HI713 measures ppm (parts per million) 0 to 2.5 range
HI736 measures ppb (parts per billion)

So let's say with the HI736 your number was 2 ppb you would do the following

2ppb X 3.066/1000 = .006 PO4

DangerDave

NJRC Member
gotcha, thx. Do many of us keep it that low? I’m usually shooting for .15 for phosphates. Anything lower than .05 or above .25 I tend to have issues...

diana a

Staff member
NJRC Member
I don't think anyone is still trying for 0. Too many issues if you do I believe. I didn't choose to get lower than .15. I don't run GFO, no sump, and use a canister filter for years. My PO4 and nitrate are super low. It's been a struggle to get them to go up

Well the Hanna phosphorus checker measures up to 200 ppb, or .6 ppm. This is probably within the useful range we require. The phosphate checker measures up to 2.5 ppm.

Yea. I don’t doubt it. What I’m looking for is low range reading. I don’t ever intend to be anywhere near .3. I’m looking to be around .07. To .1.

erics210

NJRC Member
The conch is amazing. Everywhere it goes it leaves pristine white sand behind. Mine happens to be a tiger conch. The fighting conch are supposed to be good too.

I picked up an orange diamond goby and while he cleans the sand, which seems cool, i have read a ton of posts that they disturb or eat the good things in the sand bed. Anyone have any insight?

Yea. I’m not sure to the extent they can whipe out the nutrients in the sand bed. I also have 2 yellow watchman gobies, wich exhibit some sand sifting behavior, but not to the point that the diamond goby does. Anyway, your talking your 210? If the sand bed is reasonably deep, and that size tank, I would imagine it could sustain a couple sand sifting animals.

Although my n & p are low, I believe the brown algae in the display tank, is consuming the nutrients as fast as they are being produced. Much of my nitrates and phosphates are locked up in the algae. I have started a fudge, and I will see if I can out compete it with some chaeto growth. My nitrates are not too low, about 5.0 ppm. My phosphate are below .05, but I still have to get a better test for low levels of phosphorus. I doubt there 0 though. This algae has been a problem since the tank was a few months old. I figured it was new tank, and initially wasn’t concerned, but it never went away.

MadReefer

Staff member
NJRC Member
I have a microscope and not sure about getting pics.

My question is I would sample the algae and not the water. Correct?

do you have pics of the algae? If you can get a sample I can throw it under a microscope at work.
That’s I fine gesture. If we get to a meeting some time, I’ll take you up on it. Here is what it looks like. It is lightly attached, but most of it will blow off with a turkey baister. (Pardon my spelling). It comes back quickly. Snails and cuc don’t like eating it much.

Attachments

• A4940347-7BF9-4612-8E19-1944145B35AE.jpeg
    A4940347-7BF9-4612-8E19-1944145B35AE.jpeg
    1.1 MB · Views: 7

DangerDave

NJRC Member
grab some with a pipette, you'll get some water. Put on the slide, most of the water will come out. Put in under the scope and take a look!

I battled algae like that in my 38 a couple years ago. Couldn't beat it tried everything hydrogen peroxide worked the best but didn't really beat it I ended up just breaking down the tank and starting over.

MadReefer

Staff member
NJRC Member
So I can see them under the microscope but unable to get a pic of them.

I cannot seem to identify the species. Anyone reccommend a good site to use for identification?