• Folks, if you've recently upgraded or renewed your annual club membership but it's still not active, please reach out to the BOD or a moderator. The PayPal system has a slight bug which it doesn't allow it to activate the account on it's own.

Dynoflagellates

diana a

Staff member
NJRC Member
My calcium keeps dropping to 360. I bring it back up to 410 over the course of a few days, and it goes to 360 again in 4-5 days. My alkalinity never depletes though. I am under the impression that calcium and alk, should be consumed/dosed at similar rates. I am going to stop dosing calcium for a bit and see what happens. I might actually have calcium levels to high, and it reading low due to precipitation.

How is the alk?

How is the alk?
Just as I suspected. I stopped dosing calcium for 2 weeks, and my cal is @ 450. The water was over saturated with Ca. The calcium I was adding was precipitating out of solution. I’m not going to test elements, at dose anything, until I get significant growth. All I am successful at doing so far is keeping coral alive. The frags are exactly the same as when I put them in almost a year ago. I have zero Coraline Algea. I don’t mind not having to scrape it off my glass, It should be growing by now. I have been slowly turning up my lights over the last few weeks. I think they were way too low. Hopefully since my water quality is testing pretty ideal, the lighting will kickstart the growth. Working my way up to the manufactures recommended mixed reef setting, which max out at around 60%. Right now I’m up to 47% on the 3 highest channels. It was previously in the low 30% range. I Been turning up 2% every other day. When I had the Dino prob, turning up the light made it worse. Now that that’s resolved, I can give the coral the light they need.

diana a

Staff member
NJRC Member
How many treatments did it take to get rid of it? Did you have your lights off the whole entire time? I know the bottle says you can run blues for 10 hours per day.

I used it for the max amount of doses. I think 20. I didn’t do a black out, due to the concern that my coral was not in good enough condition to service a prolonged blackout. I now run a gfo, and a Bio pellet reactor. My nitrates are 3. They went down to 0 at one point, but I removed some pellets, and found a balance point of 3. I’m using 2/3 cup of gfo, and it’s keeping the Po4 just below 0.1. I can telll it’s above 0. When my test kit runs out, I will get the Hanna phosphorus checker for more accuracy . I keep balking at the price though.

MadReefer

Staff member
NJRC Member
I used it for the max amount of doses. I think 20. I didn’t do a black out, due to the concern that my coral was not in good enough condition to service a prolonged blackout. I now run a gfo, and a Bio pellet reactor. My nitrates are 3. They went down to 0 at one point, but I removed some pellets, and found a balance point of 3. I’m using 2/3 cup of gfo, and it’s keeping the Po4 just below 0.1. I can telll it’s above 0. When my test kit runs out, I will get the Hanna phosphorus checker for more accuracy . I keep balking at the price though.

David, not sure if you're on FB but this site sells reef stuff. Someone was selling Hanna checkers but not sure which or price.
Saltwater Fish and Reef Keepers-- Buy & Sell