• Folks, if you've recently upgraded or renewed your annual club membership but it's still not active, please reach out to the BOD or a moderator. The PayPal system has a slight bug which it doesn't allow it to activate the account on it's own.

Dynoflagellates

Brs is good but the only bad thing about it is that it's not very strong you need to use more of it compared to other brands.

MadReefer

Staff member
NJRC Member
Added 10ml of calcium yesterday and it will went to 220, 10 part increase.
Today added 30ml of calcium and will test tomorrow.

My dynos are almost gone. I have done 6 doses of DynoX. I will continue till 10 doses. I dose one 10 mil. dose every other day, 1 hour after the lights go out. I have not changed my lighting duration or intensity. I did remove my carbon, and am skimming wet. My bio pellet reactor has been tumbling since Friday. I put a cap full of calcium and I’m up to 410. Alk 10 dkh, mag: 1360. Nitrates 10, phosphates 0.25. Not bad numbers. The reactor and good husbandry should eventually drive the nitrates down.

The rock and sand bed look nice and clean. I’m 8 doses in. I’m going to do the maximum of 10 doses/21 days of DinoX dosing. It seems to be working and it doesn’t seemto be hurting anything else. Last dose will be on the 22nd. I’ll put my activated carbon back in on the 24th. I will not go back to using GFO, as My phosphates have remained low ever since I removed it. I’ll just put the carbon in that reactor. I’m also using my bio pellet reactor, with half the recomended amount of pellets for my volume. I will evaluate if I need more or less pellets in a month. I want to get nitrates down, but I don’t want to strip them out completely.

About 10. They are about 10 now. Dinox doesn’t seem to effect any known parameters, but it seems to be effective. We’ll see what happens when I stop. Hopefully it doesn’t come right back.

I don’t want to speak too soon, but the Dino problem is cleared up. My coral look very good. There is a slight haze to the water. Might be from lack of activated carbon, or it could be a temporary bacteria bloom, from the bio pellet reactor. It doesn’t concern me.

So far, so good as far as Dino. The Dino’s did not come back. No3, and Po4 shot up last week. A couple small water changes & back to gfo & carbon. Po4 came back down to acceptable level. No3 is still a little elevated, but slightly improved. I still have a tone of loose detritus and sludge accumulation in my rocks, but it’s not algae. I blow it off frequently, but it never really gets any cleaner. The stuff just blows around the tank. My filter sock does seem to get some of it, but not enough to make a difference. Has anyone tried dr Tim’s waist-away, or any simulator products? I assume I don’t have a sufficient benefitial bacteria population to process the solid waist.

erics210

NJRC Member
HA. I had a mess like that once. I stirred it all up, stuck a return pup in the tank and shot the return line back into the tank through filter socks after filter socks. A dozen filter socks later and ta da. No more free floating detritus/debris....lol.

Not recommended but did work.

Yea. I don’t mind swapping out a few socks. I’ll try to syphon the water throhht the sock while stirring it up.

erics210

NJRC Member
I did it right before I was gonna do a water change anyway so even more was removed with the water swap. Plus if there was too much other stuff released the fresh water would help balance it

I did put in 1/2 dose of waist-away as well. If the water doesn’t cloud, or any adverse effects, I’ll do a full dose in a week.