• Folks, if you've recently upgraded or renewed your annual club membership but it's still not active, please reach out to the BOD or a moderator. The PayPal system has a slight bug which it doesn't allow it to activate the account on it's own.

Dynoflagellates

MadReefer

Staff member
NJRC Member
Diana, I have the black box LED lights from eBay and they are 3 years old.
The dino's seem to be gone. I stopped the UV and peroxide dosing so far so good, knock wood. Just my glass is getting dirty quicker now.

@David @MadReefer Can i ask what lights you are using? What is the status of the Dinos?
I have reefbreeder photon v2. Thanksfor asking. My Dino problem has improved dramatically lately. Rock and sand look pretty clean. Coral are still looking pretty mediocre. I have put the lights back to manufactures recommended acclimation settings today. I have to work on getting better coral results now.

MadReefer

Staff member
NJRC Member
So my Calcium is at 400 now and Alk is 10. Coral seems to be more lively lately.
May put the cheato reactor back online to help with brown algae on glass.

Bot587

NJRC Member
let me know how bringing the refugium back online goes. Last time I tried, Dino's came back in about two weeks. Came to terms that I can't run an extra low nutrient tank (whatever brand of dinos I have out competes the algae at low nutrient levels).

MadReefer

Staff member
NJRC Member
let me know how bringing the refugium back online goes. Last time I tried, Dino's came back in about two weeks. Came to terms that I can't run an extra low nutrient tank (whatever brand of dinos I have out competes the algae at low nutrient levels).

Now you have me concerned. Skipping the fuge as I cannot deal with this happening a 3rd time.

I’m happy with the bio pellet reactor. It got my nitrates down to 3. My phosphates went up though. I’m using phosguard in a media bag & a filter cup. I’m starting out slow, with about 1/2 the recommended amount. I’ll measure my phosphates in a couple days. The phosguard works too fast if used in full amount from past experience. Can cause a shock due to rapid change. Also have to test often. When it expires, the levels shoot back up fast. Once I establish trend data, I’ll know how often to change it. Dyno or algae is not an issue right now .

Bot587

NJRC Member
Now you have me concerned. Skipping the fuge as I cannot deal with this happening a 3rd time.
There is no guarantee that it will cause it for you. I just know it caused it for me. My dinos always come back when my aquarium tests 0 nitrates (after adding chaeto - as diana said, dinos love chaeto).

My reef sits at 5 ppm nitrate without a fuge. From everything I have read, and my experience, there are a heck of a lot of different types of dinos. With that said, I KNOW the dinos I have out compete at low nutrient levels. That's why I suggested that concern to you. I don't know your parameters, but if they are 10 ppm or below, I would draw the same conclusion.

All that being said, I used to run a 120 gallon reef at significantly higher nitrate (20 ppm). So I ask the same question someone asked me. If you are stable in your nitrates over the course of a couple months, "Why fix what isn't broken."

MadReefer

Staff member
NJRC Member
My nitrates are steady at 0.25. I added the fug e to help fight hair algae. So far so good with algae control. Knock wood.

Bot587

NJRC Member
My nitrates are steady at 0.25. I added the fug e to help fight hair algae. So far so good with algae control. Knock wood.
given that your nitrates are steady at 0.25 (and you are not having any algae blooms), I would not see any point in adding a refugium unless you wanted more bio fauna. 0.25 ppm is a perfect nitrate reading.

If you are having an algae bloom, the 0.25 ppm may not be a true number as the nitrates and phosphates are being used up by the algae, and those algaes are out competing your dinos (which is why people suggest raising nitrates to try and knock out dinos)

DFB13F14-5310-46DD-B1CF-976E653FDDD5.jpeg Since my Dino’s are better, I am able to turn my lighting up. This sunset monti had browned. It’s looking better now. I still have to turn them up more, but Im giving them some acclimation first.

MadReefer

Staff member
NJRC Member
Looking good David.
My Chili Pepper coral was bright green with small red dots. After Dinos and black out turned light mint green. Luckily it has made a huge turn around.

Yea. The important thing is it made it through alive. I have lost some mass on some of my coral, but I have managed not to kill any. Now it’s time to figure out how to get them to grow.

MadReefer

Staff member
NJRC Member
David, after my blackout, etc. I had very low calcium levels. Once I started dosing calcium all seemed to do better.

My calcium keeps dropping to 360. I bring it back up to 410 over the course of a few days, and it goes to 360 again in 4-5 days. My alkalinity never depletes though. I am under the impression that calcium and alk, should be consumed/dosed at similar rates. I am going to stop dosing calcium for a bit and see what happens. I might actually have calcium levels to high, and it reading low due to precipitation.

MadReefer

Staff member
NJRC Member
My calcium was at 420 for 3 weeks and this past weekend dropped to 380. I added a bit of calcium and will test latre.
ALK stays at 10/11 for quite sometime now.