• Folks, if you've recently upgraded or renewed your annual club membership but it's still not active, please reach out to the BOD or a moderator. The PayPal system has a slight bug which it doesn't allow it to activate the account on it's own.

Dynoflagellates

MadReefer

Staff member
NJRC Member
It keeps it at bay but my riding it. I dose 1ml per 10g daily per recommended o am forums i read.

MadReefer

Staff member
NJRC Member
Some pics after 7 day blackout. Ignore bulky UV.

Attachments

• IMG_20190206_160449.jpg
    IMG_20190206_160449.jpg
    713.4 KB · Views: 11
  • IMG_20190206_160443.jpg
    IMG_20190206_160443.jpg
    667.8 KB · Views: 11
  • IMG_20190206_160437.jpg
    IMG_20190206_160437.jpg
    592.6 KB · Views: 11
  • IMG_20190206_160432.jpg
    IMG_20190206_160432.jpg
    544.7 KB · Views: 11
  • IMG_20190206_160426.jpg
    IMG_20190206_160426.jpg
    627 KB · Views: 11
That looks way better. My dinox has performed well too. I’m going to do a few more doses, to make sure it’s gone. I’m also starting a new reactor for denitrate media, bc although my phosphates are in check, my nitrates tend to be a little high. (5 to 10).

diana a

Staff member
NJRC Member
That looks way better. My dinox has performed well too. I’m going to do a few more doses, to make sure it’s gone. I’m also starting a new reactor for denitrate media, bc although my phosphates are in check, my nitrates tend to be a little high. (5 to 10).

Are you sure you had dinos? Dino's from what I read happen when PO4 and Nitrates are at or close to 0

Well my po4 is close to 0. My nitrates were previously lower, but tried to raise nutrients on the false presumption, that Dino’s exist due to low nutrients. Well Dino’s can exist in low nutrients, but they can also live in higher nutrients as well. Simply dirtying up your water will not kill them, and will likely cause other problems. My goal is to get rid of the pest algae, and then keep good water parameters, with reasonable low nutrients.

I started my npx bioplastics fluidized reactor today. Nitrates around. 10 right now. Starting off with half of the amount recommended. Will check back in a month or so to report if this is successful. I’m still dosing dinoX, and the tank looks pretty good.

Me too. I hope the stuff doesn’t come back when I stop dosing. This stuff can grow back quick, but at least my coral are getting healthier. I don’t think they were in good enough condition to survive an extended blackout. This is why I went this rout.

MadReefer

Staff member
NJRC Member
Tested my water today.

Phosphate - 0.25 maybe a bit lees, but not much of a change
Alk - 10, dropped a few points
PH - 8
Nitrate - 0
Calcium - 220

Going to stop Peroxide dosing today as well.
Will leave UV running another week or two and see.
Should I start dosing calcium now?

diana a

Staff member
NJRC Member
what is your Ca?

Edit: I just noticed you posted Ca is 220. Do what myrjon posted

Last edited:

myrjon

Officer Emeritus
Officer Emeritus
Dose calcium ..today
.check with test kit tomorrow. Sunday add more /test .add more on Monday /test.....break up dosage over a few days..

Hmm. While we’re getting off the topic of the thread, I just read mad reefer thread & decided to check my parameters as well. My cal is also a bit low, at 360. I have never had to dose before, as my previous tank was a softies only. Now I have mixed reef. My alk is pretty good at 9.2. So I just need to bump up my calcium a little. I’m going to the lfs tomorrow. What product should I pick up to safety bump my calcium up?