• Folks, if you've recently upgraded or renewed your annual club membership but it's still not active, please reach out to the BOD or a moderator. The PayPal system has a slight bug which it doesn't allow it to activate the account on it's own.

Dynoflagellates

David you mentioned you are planning to start up you fuge with cheato. According to the my link above, dino love chateo
Mmmm. I’m working on it. The condition of some of my coral right now is not great. I think I would loose lose a few if I did a prolonged blackout. There are some areas of my tank that the Dino’s seem to be disappearing from. I hope that trend continues.

Trio91

Administrator
Staff member
I've been dealing with a similar outbreak in my tank for some time now too. For me, I won't hesitate to nuke my tank tank with chems.....I usually do this about 1x per year without issues.

Today, I just hit it with 2x capsules of Reef Flux and that's gonna sit for about week or so. Then I'll get an outbreak of cyano afterwards which I'll deal with with some chemi clean.

I've been dealing with a similar outbreak in my tank for some time now too. For me, I won't hesitate to nuke my tank tank with chems.....I usually do this about 1x per year without issues.

Today, I just hit it with 2x capsules of Reef Flux and that's gonna sit for about week or so. Then I'll get an outbreak of cyano afterwards which I'll deal with with some chemi clean.
I’m trying DinoX. I’m on my second dose. So far so good. To early to tell, but coral looks slightly better, and the Dino’s seem to be breaking up a little.

MadReefer

Staff member
NJRC Member
Well day 5 of blackout no clue whats alive. Floss was pretty dirty so swapped it out.
Received the UV and Marine pure today. Dumped Marine Pure under media cup loose.
UV all set and ready to run 4 hours at night. Hoping this all works.

MadReefer

Staff member
NJRC Member
I assume is for longevity of the bulb. Will run 24/7 , once dino s are gone i plant to stop uv. It's big and is in display tank.

After 3 doses of dinoX, (tonight will be dose 4) there is a noticeable decrease is the Dino’s. Live stock is all fine. We’ll see what happens.

MadReefer

Staff member
NJRC Member
Day seven came last night. Took the covering off and tank walls look good except for a few bubbles on back wall. Sand looks much better but still brownish in some areas.
Lost a few frags from bleaching but they were on the way out anyway. The large Hollywood Stunner bleached in middle but will probably come back. All fish are accounted for.
So what is my next step?

Day seven came last night. Took the covering off and tank walls look good except for a few bubbles on back wall. Sand looks much better but still brownish in some areas.
Lost a few frags from bleaching but they were on the way out anyway. The large Hollywood Stunner bleached in middle but will probably come back. All fish are accounted for.
So what is my next step?

If It were me, and I still saw some remnants left, I'd cover it back up and keep rolling. If your nervous about doing so, pull the cover buy keep lights off for another couple of days that way the corals just get ambient light.
Feed very lightly, about 1/4 normal amount and very slowly so all gets eaten. If you can siphon off the remaining bubbles then do so through a filter sock. NO water changes though.
Have you been dosing peroxide during the black out? If so I'd keep that up.

Again this is the way I would proceed, but I was extremely aggressive in my approach.

MadReefer

Staff member
NJRC Member
I cut the lights down half way on intensity.
Blues - 10% now 5%, White 50% now 30%
I did peroxide dose during blackout and will continue.
This is mt 3rd blackout and its impacting coral.

DangerDave

NJRC Member
I was just curious. I found any algae growth has been reduced since I stopped running any red/green, and almost no white from my leds. I do get some white appearance (and maybe white light) from the supporting T5 bulbs. I run two each of giesemann actinic and super actinic. @hcker99 turned me onto this combo and I really the way it looks.