• Folks, if you've recently upgraded or renewed your annual club membership but it's still not active, please reach out to the BOD or a moderator. The PayPal system has a slight bug which it doesn't allow it to activate the account on it's own.

Fairy Wrasse under the weather?

Jamie S

NJRC Member
This morning I noticed that my fairy wrasse is a bit lethargic and swimming towards the top of the tank today as well as her mouth is open as you can see in the pic. She was fed twice today and seemed to eat both times. I read she may be looking for oxygen and have pointed my return towards the top of the water for more agitation. I do have a gyre which randomly goes on causing surface agitation all day and night. Nothing has changed in the tank since I got her a month ago. Curious to what anybody thinks?

Attachments

• 9272D526-DA85-47CA-8C9A-330C5254662A.png
    9272D526-DA85-47CA-8C9A-330C5254662A.png
    3.5 MB · Views: 10
This morning I noticed that my fairy wrasse is a bit lethargic and swimming towards the top of the tank today as well as her mouth is open as you can see in the pic. She was fed twice today and seemed to eat both times. I read she may be looking for oxygen and have pointed my return towards the top of the water for more agitation. I do have a gyre which randomly goes on causing surface agitation all day and night. Nothing has changed in the tank since I got her a month ago. Curious to what anybody thinks?

Can you try to get a close up of the fish? I think I see white spots? I am trying to solve an issue with one of my fish now and those symptoms you listed could be gill fluke/skin fluke or something else possibly. Do you have a protein skimmer? If so, then you probably have no issues with oxygen levels.

Jamie S

NJRC Member
No I don’t have a protein skimmer running. Haven’t had it running since I put her in last month

No I don’t have a protein skimmer running. Haven’t had it running since I put her in last month
Maybe try turning it on to see if it helps? If it is what I think my fish have a fresh water bath could help. I would wait for others to chime to see what they think. I am fairly new with saltwater fish issues.

Jamie S

NJRC Member
Only a Percula clown and he mostly stays in the corner. Other than her mouth being open, there’s no other physical signs that something is wrong.

MadReefer

Staff member
NJRC Member
Tough call. Could be a parasite but which so can be treated properly.
Or is it really an oxygen issue.
Sometimes you get one that cannot handle all the stress of capture and moving around.
Good luck.

Jamie S

NJRC Member
So I did a 5 minute freshwater dip and now she’s not looking too good, is this normal?

Attachments

• BCA235C2-0404-4DB4-BF55-5E4EA9213832.jpeg
    BCA235C2-0404-4DB4-BF55-5E4EA9213832.jpeg
    1.1 MB · Views: 4

MadReefer

Staff member
NJRC Member
So I did a 5 minute freshwater dip and now she’s not looking too good, is this normal?

Well a dip will stress it out. Hope the temp was same or very close along with PH. Did anything drop off the fish?
Keep us posted.

Jamie S

NJRC Member
I put a heater in and aerated the Rodi water for 1/2 hour Not sure about ph but did add a little salt I read that doing that will raise ph

Jamie S

NJRC Member
She’s hiding under a rock now. She’s breathing but doesn’t seem as heavy, her mouth is still open

Jamie S

NJRC Member
It’s hard to say if she’s doing any better today. She’s still under the rock and breathing a little softer now but her mouth is still open. I’m remaining hopeful that she’ll be ok. Is there anything I can use to treat the tank? I can run out this afternoon if need be.

Attachments

• IMG_8258.MOV
    5.9 MB
It’s hard to say if she’s doing any better today. She’s still under the rock and breathing a little softer now but her mouth is still open. I’m remaining hopeful that she’ll be ok. Is there anything I can use to treat the tank? I can run out this afternoon if need be.
I am not so sure. I am still looking for solutions for my clownfish. Was going to try to quarantine and use Prazipro if he does not look any better. Is your fish eating?

Jamie S

NJRC Member
Your clown is doing the same? Did you try the freshwater dip? She hasn’t eaten since late afternoon yesterday right before I did the dip. I may run to ACC this afternoon to get the Prazipro.

My clown is acting healthy but has protruding gills and an injured face. I put pictures in another thread here. I tried the freshwater dip. He was freaking out in the dip but when I put him back in the tank he went back to normal.

Your clown is doing the same? Did you try the freshwater dip? She hasn’t eaten since late afternoon yesterday right before I did the dip. I may run to ACC this afternoon to get the Prazipro.

If you go to ACC ask them for advice. I know that if your fish is not eating that is a bad sign.