• Folks, if you've recently upgraded or renewed your annual club membership but it's still not active, please reach out to the BOD or a moderator. The PayPal system has a slight bug which it doesn't allow it to activate the account on it's own.

Favorite Clean Up Crew Members ??

What is everyone's favorite clean up crew members and why? I currently have a mix of hermits and snails but I am sooo SICK of flipping the snails back over when they fall (astrea, turbo, and margarita). So guys please recommend some clean up crew members that I do not have to baby sit.

Thanks!!

kschweer

Administrator
Staff member
Officer Emeritus
I love my tiger conch. Keeps the sand nice and clean and is a really cool creature to watch.

mini serpent stars. not the asterina ones. The ones you get in good quality live rock and multiply like crazy in a mature tank.

Colonista snails. Won't find them in stores. They will come in on rock and multiple like rabbits. And you will never see them except at night.

Colonista snails. Won't find them in stores. They will come in on rock and multiple like rabbits. And you will never see them except at night.

I have been noticing these little guys like crazy lately. I was worried that they might be bad. I have just been too busy to look or forget by the time i get to work to investigate. i only see them very early in the morning while the lights are out. now i know thanks

TanksNStuff

Officer Emeritus
Officer Emeritus
Turbos, scarlet hermits (not to be confused with red-legs), and fighting conchs are my favs.

I like Turbos, but they need to make really small medical alerts for them, "I've fallen and can't get up"...

I did once, I got a bunch of white knuckle hermits off of some guy that was selling a ton of em on CL. They went after my margarita snails and a lot of them winded up with there shells.

My fav would be the four dusky jawfish that keep the sand bed stirred up and free of detritus. And of course loaded with snails crabs and shrimp

If you have a sand bed (which I usually do) then I like cerith snails, Caribbean "tiger tail" cucumbers, a few Mexican turbo snails and an emerald crab or 2. Make sure the emerald crabs have flat tips on their claws and not pointed, not all green crabs are emerald crabs.

What do you guys recommend over snails? I have a huge pile of dead shells that flipped and couldn't get up.

I was thinking of buying all hermits and some nassarius snails on my next order.