Filter Socks cleaning

r2reyzer

NJRC Member
For those of you that use filter socks, I'm interested in how you clean your socks. I take them outside and spray them with a hose until they're as clean as I can get them. This works fine now, but come Nov/Dec, it gets a little cold. And my wife doesn't let me touch the washing machine machine with any of them.

Also, has anyone switched over to a fleece roller mat? Curious to hear about your experiences.

Thanks,
Ray

rrspike

NJRC Member
I flip them inside out then run them in warm water several times to pre rinse , then they go into washer on heavy duty cycle. with 3 caps of bleach . once washed run an additional rinse /spin cycle .

I have 2 sets. When one set gets too dirty I rinse it in the sink and throw it into a bucket with some water and bleach. Take the set that has been in the bleach out and trade them.

diana a

DAL Central
Staff member
Board of Directors
NJRC Member
My method is:

Reuse a salt bucket. Bucket stays in the garage.
Fill 80% with tap water and 1 cup of bleach to kill all the nasty germs on the socks.
I lightly rinse socks with outside spigot.
Place socks in bucket. First socks are in there about 2 weeks before the last set enters bucket. When I only have 1 set of 3 socks left, I rinse the socks to remove the bleach. Turn the socks inside out. My laundry room has carpet and I don't want to have bleach drips from the socks on carpet.
Add some bleach to washer and add socks to wash

Attachments

• 8DBAAAA8-C572-4C3A-B723-7FB786A2450D.jpeg
    8DBAAAA8-C572-4C3A-B723-7FB786A2450D.jpeg
    1.3 MB · Views: 1

MadReefer

Staff member
NJRC Member
I had about 8 socks. When done to one tossed them all in the washer with bleach and rinsed 2x. Then air dried for a a week before using.
Wife had me run the washer 2x with soap before she would do laundry.

mwil79

NJRC Member
My method is:

Reuse a salt bucket. Bucket stays in the garage.
Fill 80% with tap water and 1 cup of bleach to kill all the nasty germs on the socks.
I lightly rinse socks with outside spigot.
Place socks in bucket. First socks are in there about 2 weeks before the last set enters bucket. When I only have 1 set of 3 socks left, I rinse the socks to remove the bleach. Turn the socks inside out. My laundry room has carpet and I don't want to have bleach drips from the socks on carpet.
Add some bleach to washer and add socks to wash
This is my exact method and they come up super white every time.