• Folks, if you've recently upgraded or renewed your annual club membership but it's still not active, please reach out to the BOD or a moderator. The PayPal system has a slight bug which it doesn't allow it to activate the account on it's own.

Filter Socks cleaning

For those of you that use filter socks, I'm interested in how you clean your socks. I take them outside and spray them with a hose until they're as clean as I can get them. This works fine now, but come Nov/Dec, it gets a little cold. And my wife doesn't let me touch the washing machine machine with any of them.

Also, has anyone switched over to a fleece roller mat? Curious to hear about your experiences.

Thanks,
Ray

I flip them inside out then run them in warm water several times to pre rinse , then they go into washer on heavy duty cycle. with 3 caps of bleach . once washed run an additional rinse /spin cycle .

momof6kids

NJRC Member
I have 2 sets. When one set gets too dirty I rinse it in the sink and throw it into a bucket with some water and bleach. Take the set that has been in the bleach out and trade them.

diana a

Staff member
NJRC Member
My method is:

Reuse a salt bucket. Bucket stays in the garage.
Fill 80% with tap water and 1 cup of bleach to kill all the nasty germs on the socks.
I lightly rinse socks with outside spigot.
Place socks in bucket. First socks are in there about 2 weeks before the last set enters bucket. When I only have 1 set of 3 socks left, I rinse the socks to remove the bleach. Turn the socks inside out. My laundry room has carpet and I don't want to have bleach drips from the socks on carpet.
Add some bleach to washer and add socks to wash

Attachments

• 8DBAAAA8-C572-4C3A-B723-7FB786A2450D.jpeg
    8DBAAAA8-C572-4C3A-B723-7FB786A2450D.jpeg
    1.3 MB · Views: 2

MadReefer

Staff member
NJRC Member
I had about 8 socks. When done to one tossed them all in the washer with bleach and rinsed 2x. Then air dried for a a week before using.
Wife had me run the washer 2x with soap before she would do laundry.

My method is:

Reuse a salt bucket. Bucket stays in the garage.
Fill 80% with tap water and 1 cup of bleach to kill all the nasty germs on the socks.
I lightly rinse socks with outside spigot.
Place socks in bucket. First socks are in there about 2 weeks before the last set enters bucket. When I only have 1 set of 3 socks left, I rinse the socks to remove the bleach. Turn the socks inside out. My laundry room has carpet and I don't want to have bleach drips from the socks on carpet.
Add some bleach to washer and add socks to wash
This is my exact method and they come up super white every time.

erics210

NJRC Member
Personally I have plenty of extras. Replace with new and toss in a bucket with lid sealed. Once I am low on socks I dump that nastiness in the washer and run on hot with bleach!
Then I run another cycle with some dechlorinator. Then one more for good measure. Remove and air dry.

Adam L

NJRC Member
I got rid of my filter socks. Water is still crystal clear. Unnecessary. When I was using them I scrubbed them with a small kitchen scrub brush against the sink bottom.

amado

Dal
Staff member
Board of Directors
NJRC Member
I have huge 7” filter socks I run 3 at a time in my sump.
I got a bunch from Amazon cheap I replace as needed.
I flip them inside out and put it in the washer on the heavy cycle.
I was them twice with bleach and then they are brand new.

eli smoke

NJRC Member
Washing machine with a splash of bleach on hot then another cycle with just water and stand them up to dry, let the bleach evaporate.

Salted

NJRC Member
Agree with RRspike. I got tired of that and purchased a filter cup. Every 2 or 3 days I toss the floss and add new, easy.
How do I like this twice? So effortless. Never going back to socks. Those of you running socks through two or three washing machine cycles think of all the gas/electric/water used to do this. I'm not a greenie but it seems wasteful in both energy and time.