• Folks, if you've recently upgraded or renewed your annual club membership but it's still not active, please reach out to the BOD or a moderator. The PayPal system has a slight bug which it doesn't allow it to activate the account on it's own.

Finally got me Harlequin Shrimp I'm so stoked

I finally got me pair of Harlequin shrimp from Aquaoceans today im so happy

Hirobo,

Just curious. What are you gonna do about feeding it? Sounds like you are gonna go out and buy yourself starfish every month or so.

calaxa said:
Hirobo,

Just curious. What are you gonna do about feeding it? Sounds like you are gonna go out and buy yourself starfish every month or so.

I have a few chocolate chips in my sump thats their dinner. I dont mind buying these guys a starfish or two.

It doesn't always work - but there are threads about people feeding asterina starfish - which are easily captive-bred since they reproduce by fission. The only catch is that there is one species (out of the unknown dozens/hundreds/thousands) that supposedly eats corals.

The ones I have came from a tank with sps/lps - no problems. Even so I'm paranoid and been removing them. If I catch and live ones- I can pass them to you if you want.

Also - I noticed Rob's tank here (fs/ft) has a huge army of them in his pics. Maybe you could ask for some from him. This will be cheaper in the long run and also great for the chocolate chip stars that don't have to be dinner. ;)

Hawkeye said:
It doesn't always work - but there are threads about people feeding asterina starfish - which are easily captive-bred since they reproduce by fission. The only catch is that there is one species (out of the unknown dozens/hundreds/thousands) that supposedly eats corals.

The ones I have came from a tank with sps/lps - no problems. Even so I'm paranoid and been removing them. If I catch and live ones- I can pass them to you if you want.

Also - I noticed Rob's tank here (fs/ft) has a huge army of them in his pics. Maybe you could ask for some from him. This will be cheaper in the long run and also great for the chocolate chip stars that don't have to be dinner. ;)

I have a whole bunch of them myself I havent seen the shrimp go after them yet but maybe thats because they are still getting used to their new home

Congrats on your new, beautiful additions, Mike. They're just gorgeous! If I didn't have my brittle starfish and 3 cleaner chrimp + the coral banded, I would most certainly get me a pair of those, even though I would have a problem with feeding 'em starfish. :-X Are you going to actually dismember a leg of a chocolate starfish and throw it in, and then next time use a different one to dismember, so that the first one can (hopefully) regenerate?

Phyl

Officer Emeritus
Officer Emeritus
We throw our starfish in whole. The regenerate thing doesn't seem to happen fast enough and they really need a whole starfish per [insert period of time here depending on size]. I always knew that when mine were not hiding it was because they were hungry and needed to be fed.

They won't decimate an asterina population. They don't care for them well enough and can't be bothered. They'd starve to death before they'd clear a tank.

Wendy, they don't bother my brittle or serpent stars.

Phyl said:
We throw our starfish in whole. The regenerate thing doesn't seem to happen fast enough and they really need a whole starfish per [insert period of time here depending on size]. I always knew that when mine were not hiding it was because they were hungry and needed to be fed.

They won't decimate an asterina population. They don't care for them well enough and can't be bothered. They'd starve to death before they'd clear a tank.

Wendy, they don't bother my brittle or serpent stars.

I saw them out on the rock this morning together so i thought they where hungry, and threw in one. but i think they where already eating one of the asterina and didnt even bother with the choc so i took it back out because he was heading to my coral

Phyl

Officer Emeritus
Officer Emeritus
It will take up to 10m or so for them to find it in the tank (especially if it is kept in the sump of the same system). If you were to keep it separate they would smell it immediately upon putting it into the tank. The first time we put one in from the sump we were amazed at how much longer it took them to find it.

We have to just about drop it on their heads if we were storing it in the sump!

Phyl said:
It will take up to 10m or so for them to find it in the tank (especially if it is kept in the sump of the same system). If you were to keep it separate they would smell it immediately upon putting it into the tank. The first time we put one in from the sump we were amazed at how much longer it took them to find it.

We have to just about drop it on their heads if we were storing it in the sump!

ahhh i c im gonna wait until the lights come on so i can keep an eye on the star. i think they are hungry cause they are sitting out in the open on a rock dancing

panmanmatt

Officer Emeritus
Officer Emeritus
It's not cruel, it's nature. It is no different than adding pods and stuff to your tank to feed your fish and corals.

panmanmatt said:
It's not cruel, it's nature. It is no different than adding pods and stuff to your tank to feed your fish and corals.

I agree they eat them in the wild we are just not used to watching or handing over live food. but after owning some oscars this is nothing

Think about buying a few choc. starfish and just cut off a leg and feed it to the tank. Rotate between the starfish. They should be able to regenerate their legs if you keep a good rotation.

Hope they work out for you.

NCReefer said:
Think about buying a few choc. starfish and just cut off a leg and feed it to the tank. Rotate between the starfish. They should be able to regenerate their legs if you keep a good rotation.

Hope they work out for you.

I dont know if you can do that with Chocos. I would feel horrible if i cut a leg off and have it suffer like that. I would rather let the shrimp take a whole one and let nature take it's course