• Folks, if you've recently upgraded or renewed your annual club membership but it's still not active, please reach out to the BOD or a moderator. The PayPal system has a slight bug which it doesn't allow it to activate the account on it's own.

Finally got me Harlequin Shrimp I'm so stoked

the diff between pods and starfish is that the pods are bred, and not collected from the ocean... but i do have a boa that i feed rats to, so kinda hypocritical, but the rats he eats are also bred and not wild caught... but i bought a pair of harlequin from aqua ob just last week to deal with my asternia problem... and everytime i look in they're eating another, so hopefully if they eat 10 or so a day each, the tank will have a managable population of asternia in about a year or so...lol i was scared cause i have a serpent star also, i trusted phyl and the other day they were right next to the serpent munching on asternia...

Phyl

Officer Emeritus
Officer Emeritus
Unfortunately they will starve to death before they clean out your potato chip population. Do make sure you feed them in addition to the chips!

heres a quick question will they eat the whole choco or just the underside? if they just eat the underside then i would imagine once they leave it you should prolly take it out of the tank

Phyl

Officer Emeritus
Officer Emeritus
They eat the whole thing. They start with the bottom to disable the starfish and then finish the whole thing off.

ok, not trying to be difficult i swear, just tring to understand but if there constantly eating, doe it matter what they're munching on chocs or asternias a full belly is a full belly correct? or do the chocs and others have more nutritional value for them?

Phyl said:
They eat the whole thing. They start with the bottom to disable the starfish and then finish the whole thing off.

WOW i tell you what they are determined and strong little buggers they flipped that thing over 3 times and wouldnt let him leave. now i need to name em ;D. I would presume when they are out in the open dancing around they are hungry, because thats what they where doing yesterday then i threw in the star and wam they where all over it

Phyl

Officer Emeritus
Officer Emeritus
I'm not exactly sure. Sadly, I just know from experience that if you don't feed them something other than asterinas they're going to starve to death. I know a full belly isn't always a full belly (think brine) and I also don't really think that there's enough meat in an asterina to meet their nutritional requirements.

Yes, if you see them out in the open they are hungry. Good time to feed them!

Hirobo said:
NCReefer said:
Think about buying a few choc. starfish and just cut off a leg and feed it to the tank. Rotate between the starfish. They should be able to regenerate their legs if you keep a good rotation.

Hope they work out for you.

I dont know if you can do that with Chocos. I would feel horrible if i cut a leg off and have it suffer like that. I would rather let the shrimp take a whole one and let nature take it's course

CC will do it, but you need to buy a few of them. Go through a routine of cutting legs off. like 1 leg off of A, then next time 1 off B, then 1 off C, go back to A. I've heard of this successfully working for others.
either way good luck.

Absolutely fish has a pair and I almost bought them. Has anyone ever reported any problems with clams and these guys?