• Folks, if you've recently upgraded or renewed your annual club membership but it's still not active, please reach out to the BOD or a moderator. The PayPal system has a slight bug which it doesn't allow it to activate the account on it's own.

Fish Differences

Whats the difference between a clarkki clownfish and a sabae clownfish? I do know that they are from the same family. But i just cant see the difference between them.

howze01

NJRC Member
Clarkii's have a third stripe down by their tails, Sebae's don't. Small difference and I'm sure there are more though. Sometimes you have to go down to how many rays there are in the fins (I think that's a way to tell Percula/Ocellaris). Fish ID's can be tricky!

Clarkii's have a third stripe down by their tails, Sebae's don't. Small difference and I'm sure there are more though. Sometimes you have to go down to how many rays there are in the fins (I think that's a way to tell Percula/Ocellaris). Fish ID's can be tricky!

But the sebae darkins when it older right while the clarkii doesnt it just gets bigger ?

Sebea clowns dont look like clarkis at all they are from a different complex.

Sebea clowns are a Saddleback clownfish variant
Clarks are from the Clarki Complex

There bodies are shaped differently, also alot of times sebea clowns are either clarkis mislabeled or plain saddleback clowns mislabeled.

Sometimes sebeas can have white on their tail. Be careful buying them for that fact.

Anything is possible, but not likely.

True your right about that. But Idk man i just want my rod to pair with another clown of the same family its that there so much that when you decised what kind you want to get along come a different clown then your back to square one -____-