• Folks, if you've recently upgraded or renewed your annual club membership but it's still not active, please reach out to the BOD or a moderator. The PayPal system has a slight bug which it doesn't allow it to activate the account on it's own.

Foam between tank and stand....

Put the entire setup together... put tank on the stand and then place it exactly where you want it. (NO WATER)

Then with composite shims shim the stand at the corners first. Then if you need to fill in the length. You need to make sure that the stand is supported along the entire base all 4 sides. But that also depends on how the stand was constructed. Shims need to be where ever there is a vertical support. You want to make sure that the setup is in its final resting place since moving it a few inches "can" change the level.

As others have stated, I put my stand where I want it and then shim the stand so it's level using long strips of wood so the entire bottom is supported. When the stand is level then the tank will be level.

You can use that foam or 1/2" thick since you have that piece of wood around the stand that covers the plasic tank frame. Make sure you glue or tape the foam in place so it doesn't move when you set the tank.

Let me know if you need wood for shims. I have a bunch laying around or I can cut whatever you need.

TanksNStuff

Officer Emeritus
Officer Emeritus
I don't know much about the foam but the reason you NEVER shim a tank is because the weight will put too much stress on the shim area. Tanks are made to spread the weight out evenly across all 4 sides. Shimming it would shift most of the weight to that spot and eventually cause the vertical (corner) seams to separate. You don't want that happening with a full tank.

The custom tank manufacturer in central jersey uses homasote for all their custom installs between their tanks and stands. I bought a piece of homasote at our local Home Depot, but I don't think all of them sell it.

Use the pink foam board at homp depot. It's nice n rigid. What u don't want is the small pieces that r white, that's the wrong stuff.

Use the pink foam board at homp depot. It's nice n rigid. What u don't want is the small pieces that r white, that's the wrong stuff.
Actually, my tank manufacturer explicitly recommends the expanded polystyrene, and did NOT want me to use the pink foam (xps, extruded polystyrene). They want it to compress a bit, and the XPS doesn't compress much at all (you can walk on it, pour concrete footings over it, etc). I put down a 3/4" sheet, it compressed down to about 1/2".

Id only use the foam that compresses alot/softer foam if ur tank is rimless. Otherwise it could pop/crack the bottom glass Leveling is done with the stand. The foam is only to fill in minor voids and flatten out the top of ur stand a bit more. U shouldnt use homasote board cause it is not a product that should b used around water, its made from paper n glue. The foam boards r a much better choice for this

I'm sorry, but your are incorrect.

The small white foam is exactly what your looking for. The "nice and rigid" foam is polyisocyanurate at a 6lb density. Polyisocyanurate at 6lb density has a compressive strength of approximately 130psi. Expanded polystyrene at 1lb density has a compressive strength of approximately 14psi.

A 180 gallon aquarium has a perimeter of approximately 192". The rim is approximately .75" wide. This gives us a contact area of approximately 144 square inches.
180 gallons of saltwater at 8.55lbs a gallon is 1539lbs. Lets say the tank itself weighs 400lbs. So lets assume the tank and water weigh 1950lbs.

1950/144 is 13.54psi............ No where near 130psi....

As for homasote, I have no personal experience.

Hey Steve - Interesting thread. Thanks for being the impetus for it! So I see your are embarking on new tank. (I have been away from things for a while)

I'll be sure to watch what you have cooking up there in other threads.
Bob