• Folks, if you've recently upgraded or renewed your annual club membership but it's still not active, please reach out to the BOD or a moderator. The PayPal system has a slight bug which it doesn't allow it to activate the account on it's own.

Forgot about the airholes on my Durso's...Not good!

JohnS_323

Officer Emeritus
Officer Emeritus
I had a bit of a disaster today. I was in the basement doing my weekly water change. Part of the process is to shut off the flow to my display so that I can get a full 50g out of the system. After I pump the old water out, I transfer new water over and turn the flow back on to the display. I get all of that going and then wait for my sump to get up to the right level. I'm sitting there waiting and waiting and then I hear the pump at the bottom of the drum start sucking air. I think "hmm, that's odd" and then all of sudden it's absolultely pouring through the basement ceiling. I unplugged the pump as quick as I could but not before I sent about 10g of water over the edge of the tank, through my cabinet, through the floor and into the basement! I went running upstairs just in time to see my IceCap 660 burst into flames. I reached in and yanked the wires of it and frantcially started uplugging everything else. That seemed to be the only thing that got wet so that was a relief.

After cleaning up and restarting the system, I realized that the problem is that I haven't cleaned out the air holes in my Durso's in years. I poked them thoroughly with a hanger and everything is running fine again.

Just a bit of a heads up to anyone with Durso's, if it's been a while since you cleaned the airholes, take a moment and do it before it becomes a problem.

iTzJu

Officer Emeritus
NJRC Member
oh man, luckily there were just minimal damage and you were quick to act upon it. definitely a good idea to clean out the durso pipe once in awhile.

magic

Officer Emeritus
Officer Emeritus
John

Going to check right after work. Thanks for the heads up. Phyl must have been real happy.

Bob

Last edited:

redfishbluefish

Officer Emeritus
Officer Emeritus
Ouch! Sorry for your mini flood and fried IceCap…..but actually it’s great seeing that you are still alive……..Haven’t heard from you in a while. Welcome back John!

Actually all the Glass-Holes folks have to watch out for a similar thing….the breather tube blocking up. The difference is that with Glass Holes, the blocked tube only causes gurgling and noise…no flood. I actually use a vinyl coated rod (that I think is for gardening….supporting droopy plants) and use it as a ramrod to clean out the tube.

CleaningthePipes.jpg

TanksNStuff

Officer Emeritus
Officer Emeritus
Ugh, that must have been a scary situation John. Hard to believe that a clogged air hole could cause such a problem, but I can certainly believe it.

This past weekend, I started hearing my overflow start to make a surge noise every 10 seconds or so. I ended up cleaning out my tubes and it fixed the problem.

After reading your post John, I think I might have had a similar problem if I hadn't cleaned mine out.

Glad it was only the IceCap that got damaged, it could have been worse. Maybe this was a sign to upgrade to LED's? ;)