• Folks, if you've recently upgraded or renewed your annual club membership but it's still not active, please reach out to the BOD or a moderator. The PayPal system has a slight bug which it doesn't allow it to activate the account on it's own.

FOWLR Salt?

Fish Brain

Officer Emeritus
Officer Emeritus
I have a Juvi Porcupine Puffer and Large Damsel in the 40B and I have been somewhat neglecting the 40B's water changes for: 1) I've been busy with the 65. 2) I'm getting low on salt, Reef comes before F.O. on my scale of water change importance. 3) Using Reef Crystals seems like I'm pouring money down the drain.

What is everyone with a FOWLR using for salt? Right now I am using the same Reef Crystals in my 40B that I use for my 65G reef but again, it seems like such a waste. I/O the best way to go and keep the Reef Crystals for the Reef, or is there something cheaper (or better) then I/O?

Brian, I have to be honest for the 2-55gal's fowlrs I have-I only do mnthly water changes(and sometimes longer) and use the cheapest salt I find which is usually Kent salt.Now Im not saying Im mistreating the tanks,everything is ok,aside from a bit of HA but the fish are fine and eating well.No sign of illness or bad effects.And I usually find the kent for $47 for a 200 gal mix.

IO cheapest and prettiest. If you can get the free shippin from Dr Foster or the $5.99 one they have it for like $45 shipped for 200g!

Fish Brain

Officer Emeritus
Officer Emeritus
Yea... I've only done about 4 maybe 5 5-Gal water changes since I set the tank up back in August. :undecided:

Ive gotten my salt from petsolutions in the past free shiiping over $50 and they process and ship really fast.So I will order salt and flake food or double my salt order and get the free shipping

IO is $44.99 for 200 Gal. box, at F&S with free shipping with a minimum $49.00 order. So, you will have to buy some trinket or double your salt order for the free shipping.

redfishbluefish

Officer Emeritus
Officer Emeritus
I even think IO has alk and calc that you don’t need. I can’t remember the brand, but it’s the largest volume of salt they have at the Hidden Reef …..do I hear “road trip.” I think it’s twenty-something for a 160 gallon bucket. It’s been a while since I’ve been there, but if interested, I’ll drive on the road trip. You could also pick up your reef salt there….you can’t beat their prices on salt.

I even think IO has alk and calc that you don’t need. I can’t remember the brand, but it’s the largest volume of salt they have at the Hidden Reef …..do I hear “road trip.” I think it’s twenty-something for a 160 gallon bucket. It’s been a while since I’ve been there, but if interested, I’ll drive on the road trip. You could also pick up your reef salt there….you can’t beat their prices on salt.

I think you are talking about Coralife Marine Salt. 150 g for $29.99 and 200g for $42.99(Should be $40 or cheaper since 150g is only $29.99) So it's cheaper to buy the 150g bucket. It used to come with a free shirt and in 3, 50g packs. No more shirt and no bags in the buckets anymore. Still a good deal though. This is the Hidden Reef price.

falconut

NJRC Member
I've used Crystal Seas Marine Mix before. It was clearly the cheapest at the time and came in a 150 gallon box, but did come in a bucket, but that was a little more. The Hidden Reef did sell it too, but Aquarium Center had it for like $25 a box and they were 5 minutes away. It worked fine before my tank turned into a reef.

When I spoke to the IO rep a few years ago he told me the intent of the company was to manufacture IO for fish only tanks and Reef Crystals for reefs.

I've used Crystal Seas Marine Mix for years in my reef after Shimek's salt study was released and never had any issues. At the time it was $19.99 for 200 gallon box.

I think its closer to $40 for IO there. That what I've been buying there for the start up of my reef tank. I'm just about out and need to stop by there on my way home tonight. Im thinking aboit switching to reef crystal or red sea pro but Ill check on the price and report back.

radiata

NJRC Member

Thermosts:

Use the cheapest salt you can find! (I use the cheapest salt I can find for my reef setup!) I recently bought two 150G boxes of Crystal Seas Marine Mix for $20@ at the Hidden Reef. It is worth my time to hit them once or twice a year for 6 or 8 boxes at a pop. Unfortunately they don't post their prices for salt on their web site, but the do low ball all of the many brands they carry...

redfishbluefish:

Yes, I'm up for another road trip! (Just don't expect a great selection of fish/inverts there - they seemed to have lots of empty tanks.)

Boxes are the best!
a6898b53-b290-3820.jpg
a6898b53-b2ad-f616.jpg

Sandee | Sent from my iPhone!

I know fowlr tanks don't require high quality salt but I'd be reluctant to use "the cheapest salt" one can find as some have said here. Why would one invest about 2k or more in fish then throw in any kind of salt just because its cheap. Do you buy a BMW then use the cheapest gas or oil? Don't think so!! If you pay several hundred for a fish then don't see a problem paying $45 for a middle tier salt.

Why would one invest about 2k or more in fish then throw in any kind of salt just because its cheap.

Because there's basically no difference between them. There are lots of companies that make a product and market it to different industries. The price for the saltwater hobby is always jacked way up. These companies rely on the "it costs more so it has to be better" rational so many in this hobby have.