• Folks, if you've recently upgraded or renewed your annual club membership but it's still not active, please reach out to the BOD or a moderator. The PayPal system has a slight bug which it doesn't allow it to activate the account on it's own.

Free Scroll coral

MadReefer

Staff member
NJRC Member
I got a yellow scroll coral from Tom, Tgee, but it is not doing well. I will post a pic tomorrow and someone that can properly care for it can have it for free. It is not first reply first gets it; I will decide who it goes to.
I can bring this to Saturday's meeting.
Mark

Tazmaniancowboy

Officer Emeritus
Officer Emeritus
Mark, Depending how far gone it is I can try nursing it back...I am still rebounding from my loss during the hurricane and while some of my corals are growing back great, I still have a lot of void to bring it back to its glory. I will be at the meeting if you decide to give it to me.

MadReefer

Staff member
NJRC Member
Here is a pic of the scroll. I keep blowing cyano off it but can't control it. Even moved it someplace else but no good.

I am not sure if its even alive at this point. I also have this brain coral that is receding.
Taz, if you want one or both let me know.

Scroll
P2040172.jpg

Brain
P2040173.jpg

MadReefer

Staff member
NJRC Member
No clue Tony. From your comment I assume the scroll is toast. If I had to guess would say Nitrates or Phosphates, maybe both.
I did test my top off water and 0 Nitrates. I will get a Phosphate test kit tomorrow.

Mark, the scroll is gone. I would dip the Brain in Bayers Advance insect killer. http://www.bayeradvanced.com/lawn-care/products/complete-brand-insect-killer-for-soil-turf . I dip all my new corals SPS/LPS and the ones that don't look too good in my tank and they bounce back. I use 1ml with 2 cups of tank water. If you do dicide to use the Bayer and it doesn't help, I would frag it. What I mean by fraging is, you need to cut off all the edges and salvage the center. It might be some type of bacteria thats on it.

TanksNStuff

Officer Emeritus
Officer Emeritus
He (or someone ) posted that here a while ago. I remember reading it before.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk

I honestly dont think that the dipping will help in this case. You should go right to fragging it and moving it out of the tank.

Since this happened once before, corrected itself when Shipwrecked put it in his tank, and has now recessed again after being in your tank that would tell me that it is a water quality issue.

Ricwilli, thats pretty amazing how everything just comes right out of there. I may have to add that to my dipping routine. Do you have any more info stating what can be dipped in that and what shouldn't? Obviously SPS and LPS but how about zoas?

MadReefer

Staff member
NJRC Member
Rich, Thanks for the info. Yes, I did post about the Bayer in the past.
I also, don't have tools to frag and agree with AJ I have a water quality issue so Taz is getting it.

I still says it the sand and all the dirt stuck in there over 5 years.
I will try and get a video of how dirty it is.
If the distilled water test 0 for phosphates I will do a 15g water change sucking water from the bottom, cleaning the sand. If some sand gets sucked up, oh well. Using the distilled will allow me to do a WC quicker.