• Folks, if you've recently upgraded or renewed your annual club membership but it's still not active, please reach out to the BOD or a moderator. The PayPal system has a slight bug which it doesn't allow it to activate the account on it's own.

Free Tiny Piece of Green Hammer

My hammer "Budded" or something along those lines and I have this small piece as the result. Don't really know how you would go about mounting it. But if you want to give it a try let me know.

Just as a referance its in a shot glass.

IMG-20120503-01139.jpg

TanksNStuff

Officer Emeritus
Officer Emeritus
LOL, nice John!

Josh, I'd say just keep it in the shot glass for a bit and it should start growing a stalk/branch in a couple weeks. Once that happens, you can glue it to a frag plug or rock.

I wouldn't try glueing the fleshy part as that may harm it at this stage. Also, if you just leave it sitting on the sand, it's small enough to get knocked around by crabs/snails/fish and may end up getting blown around with the current and end up in the overflow or a powerhead or something. It looks nice and save as is! ;)

I got a question about leaving the cup in there for a week +. If you leave a coral in such a small glass for an extended period of time, wouldn't you have issues with no flow? I'm assuming that you don't have a power head pointed directly into the shot glass, so since the glass is so small, it's unlikely that the flow in your tank will be able to move the little water that is in the shot glass. Won't this kill the coral?

LOL, nice John!

Josh, I'd say just keep it in the shot glass for a bit and it should start growing a stalk/branch in a couple weeks. Once that happens, you can glue it to a frag plug or rock.

I wouldn't try glueing the fleshy part as that may harm it at this stage. Also, if you just leave it sitting on the sand, it's small enough to get knocked around by crabs/snails/fish and may end up getting blown around with the current and end up in the overflow or a powerhead or something. It looks nice and save as is! ;)

I have no idea. I didn't even know hammer corals did this. I assumed they just branched and that was it. Also there is a light flow getting in there as I do see the arms gently moving. Its pretty much sitting under my powerhead so I'm guessing its getting the undertow from that.

I got a question about leaving the cup in there for a week +. If you leave a coral in such a small glass for an extended period of time, wouldn't you have issues with no flow? I'm assuming that you don't have a power head pointed directly into the shot glass, so since the glass is so small, it's unlikely that the flow in your tank will be able to move the little water that is in the shot glass. Won't this kill the coral?

Your probaly right. I'll give it some time to see if it even makes it. MOD's Please Close.

On a side note this is off the hammer I got from you. Did you ever have anything like this happen? Here's the link to what it looked like before it fell off. http://www.njreefers.org/showthread.php?77368-Wonky-Hammer

LOL, nice John!