• Folks, if you've recently upgraded or renewed your annual club membership but it's still not active, please reach out to the BOD or a moderator. The PayPal system has a slight bug which it doesn't allow it to activate the account on it's own.

Fresh Air exchanger helps low PH

You can send some of that Ph my way, I am battling LOW Ph, no matter how much kalk I add it will climb them plummet all in a matter of a few hours. Been hovering 7.8-7.9 the last two days. Ran a co2 test and its off the charts, so I am running a fresh air line outside to the skimmer to see if that helps. Darn sealed houses. Gonna have to figure out how to vent the house on a permanent basis.

I don't have a furnace, its baseboard heat. House is sealed up tight. Fans in canopy and fans on sump. Going to run a 2 inch hose to the outside for the skimmer then going to figure out how I am going to circulate fresh air through the house.

Phyl

Officer Emeritus
Officer Emeritus
Jeff, does that mean that I can reduce my heating bill by 60-80% by using one of these? Do you have one installed? Did you see that type of reduction?! How much does one of those cost?!

stcreef said:
I don't have a furnace, its baseboard heat. House is sealed up tight. Fans in canopy and fans on sump. Going to run a 2 inch hose to the outside for the skimmer then going to figure out how I am going to circulate fresh air through the house.

If you check out the residential brochure they mention models for baseboard heating.

momof6kids

NJRC Member
Phyl said:
Jeff, does that mean that I can reduce my heating bill by 60-80% by using one of these? Do you have one installed? Did you see that type of reduction?! How much does one of those cost?!

Ditto.

Renee - Glad to see you made it through that scare! Now I know not to worry too much when I get taken away by screaming children and my Kalk dosing goes nuts ;D

My ph has been soaring lately (8.8-8.9) without Kalk dosing and very little ventilation in my finished basement. While the info. above helped on the low side issues, I have to investigate this more. I am overdue to recalibrate my monitor, so take this with a grain of salt, but even when I was good with it, it was running 8-6 to 8.7I wonder if I have too much movement at the top of the water or airflow within my durso pipe.

I am a kinda freaked about starting Kalk dosing with this going on. (I know I could supplement with vinegar but this is a temporary fix that I am not crazy about)

I don't have one installed on my house (yet), with no insulation or vapor barriers my house gets plenty of fresh air turnover. I do spec them for all of my renovations & new houses because they're an absolute must for the tight houses we construct these days. It's very important in new homes to circulate fresh air through out the house to help dissipate the off gassing (i.e. fumes) off all the new materials in the home. I seriously doubt you could save that much on your heating bills with them. I would assume they are comparing their unit to having a window open during the winter.
Don't forget they work for both heating & AC cycles (for those of you with AC).

Cost somewhere around 1K -1.5K plus installation.

I just purchased a spot ERV online for $299, gonna install it right over the canopy on the tank. Lastnite I installed a 1.5 in. hose from my skimmer through the attic to the eves of the house. Woke up this morning and my Ph is at 8.01. For the last week, the morning Ph has been ~7.8. Huge difference........

RichT

Officer Emeritus
Officer Emeritus
Thanks Jeff!

Maybe the solution to my plummeting PH as well. Now that the windows are open, the PH has pretty much stabilized above 8 in the am and 8.2+/- max in the pm. Closing up the house for the coming heat wave should really tell the tale.

Rich, do the airstone test if you have an airpump and stone. I tested a liter of tank water with an airstone indoors for one hour. Test Ph before and after. Then do the same test again (replacing the liter of tank water) but outdoors. The test indoors, the Ph dropped by .2 , outdoors it rose by .2 .

I borrowed a co2 meter and found that my co2 levels were peaking at about 3000ppm in my house in the late evening. Outdoors where I am (in the woods) averaged about 300ppm.

After I install the spot ERV i will test the co2 levels again.