• Folks, if you've recently upgraded or renewed your annual club membership but it's still not active, please reach out to the BOD or a moderator. The PayPal system has a slight bug which it doesn't allow it to activate the account on it's own.

good or not skimmer

i have a chance at a asm g3 saltwater skimmer with sedra 500 pump used for 190 bucks,is this a good skimmer for money or no keep looking,sorry dont know much about skimmers any ideas please let me know asap before i buy it thanks guys 18fisher

falconut

NJRC Member
They seam to go for a little less. See links:
http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2134742&highlight=asm+g3
http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2157056&highlight=asm+g3
This one's around your price, but it's not selling:
http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2004271&highlight=asm+g3
So, choice is yours. Don't know if your price is shipped or pickup. That would make a difference too. If it's a pickup and you know it's working then maybe it's worth the little extra. But, if it's plus shipping, then it's probably too much. Just my opinion.

Something to look for if you see it in person. From my experience, the impeller magnets swell and need to be replaced every couple years. They go for about $40. When this happens, it has trouble restarting. If the impeller is out and the sides look like they're bulging, then is probably needs a new one. Not a big deal to replace, just usually have to order one online.

thank you for the site new one for me thanks seems like i can get one for much less thanks again 18fisher thanks for the tips to

update got new skimmer its a used aqua ev-120 protien skimmer with a mag drive 5 pump for 150 shipped,i know its a little small for the 180 but its in my price range,maybe i could upgrade later,also it said i can use 3 dif pumps to increase skimming cap,this has got to be better then what i have nothing,am i thinking right or no,i kinda said yes already but wanted to check with you guys thanks 18fisher

the asm skimmers are awesome. put it in the water and plug it in very very simple. skims very well. Ive had a g3 for years. I replaced the 5000 pump with a 9000 and this thing skims like crazy.. ...

great so i am thinking right ,thanks guys i really app it,this site is turning out to be one of the best you get answers right away,and alot of help ,well thats a done deal on to ro system then lights for the tank thanks 18fisher

That EV-120 skimmer is not even close to being enough for your tank. I had an AquaC EV-180 on a 75 gallon tank, lightly stocked (2 clowns, a few chromis, and a small snowflake eel) and it was vastly undersized. Couple that with the energy-sucking pump you have to use to drive an AquaC (you need at least 1 size higher than what AquaC recommends)... They were really good skimmers 10 years ago (which is where you'll find reviews of them), but they're not up to date.

oh okay thanks for the help i am kinda stuck with it know,so ill try it for know and then upgrade,wow it says its good for a 120 gallon tank figures they always pump it up,what would be a good priced skimmer to start with then price in mind 200 to 250 or am i not even close,im really lost of what one to get there are so many of them,thanks again for the help , 18fisher

redfishbluefish

Officer Emeritus
Officer Emeritus
HERE’s an example of a cone skimmer that uses a fraction of the electricity of a MAG. There are others from similar manufactures. You can typically pick these up used for 2-3 hundred clams.

The AquaC EV 120 is far from the latest designs, but it's a pretty bullet proof skimmer and as long as its installed properly and you keep the injectors clean, will give you good service.

I will say that the EV-180 was really well built. I miss the simple twist to remove the skimmer cup (vs the infernal O-ring on my Avast Marine). But I did try out the EV on my new tank prior to upgrading, so my memory is fresh.

Needle wheel skimmers are where it's at, I agree. Just for reference, I saved 100w of power by switching out the mag pump and switching to a recirculating skimmer that didn't need a big pump. That's $100/year savings right there.

for the money I'd have to say the reef octopus xp2000 for an 180. Is the way to go for future reference. 40 watts to run and are actually rated on the lower end of 180 gal. so heavy load at 180

thank you guys,well know i have something to look out for,ill find a good deal on one of them,may take a litlle time but ill find one thanks for narrowing it down,also i like the idea of less power to run them,18fisher