• Folks, if you've recently upgraded or renewed your annual club membership but it's still not active, please reach out to the BOD or a moderator. The PayPal system has a slight bug which it doesn't allow it to activate the account on it's own.

Great news for the hobby

I just saw this myself!! This is great news!! This will help keep Manarins in the wild and help a bit from people buying wild caught ones and not understanding their diets!!

This is a mandarin I will consider buying!! Hopefully they aren't going to come with a ridiculous price tag!!

9supratt4 said:
Hopefully they aren't going to come with a ridiculous price tag!!

And that's the rub. While we all profess to support the environment, we also are conscientious of the cost to this hobby. Wild mandarins run for what -$20, $30? I wonder what the price-point would be for ppl to buy captive raised -$50? $75?

Also how does one distinguish between the two other than asking the LFS to feed them? I guess if they are super small that would be a give away.

Anyways - i'd love a mandarin conditioned to eat say sinking pellets.

Hawkeye said:
9supratt4 said:

And that's the rub. While we all profess to support the environment, we also are conscientious of the cost to this hobby. Wild mandarins run for what -$20, $30? I wonder what the price-point would be for ppl to buy captive raised -$50? $75?

Also how does one distinguish between the two other than asking the LFS to feed them? I guess if they are super small that would be a give away.

Actual cost from a wholesaler for a mandarin is $5.99 just to give you an idea of the mark-up.

Too bad they can't breed clownfish to allow them to be community fish with each other like 4+ in a tank would be nice :/

The_Codfather

Officer Emeritus
Officer Emeritus
Brando457 said:
Hawkeye said:
9supratt4 said:

Actual cost from a wholesaler for a mandarin is $5.99 just to give you an idea of the mark-up.

Too bad they can't breed clownfish to allow them to be community fish with each other like 4+ in a tank would be nice :/
I remember that list you had.. Crazy!

i was going to buy a mandarin later in my build but since i saw that earlier this morning. i'll be getting that blue one. looks AWESOME ;D

Phyl

Officer Emeritus
Officer Emeritus
Every new fish they are able to breed is one step closer to being able to breed ALL fish. It is indeed great news for the hobby! Imagine a day when all fish we keep can be obtained as CB specimens? That would be fantastic.