• Folks, if you've recently upgraded or renewed your annual club membership but it's still not active, please reach out to the BOD or a moderator. The PayPal system has a slight bug which it doesn't allow it to activate the account on it's own.

Guy is ripping me off for a skimmer on ebay but posting for sale items on RC?

Subliminal

NJRC Member
Hey guys,

I have a quandry for you:

On March 19th I won a skimmer on eBay. I had emailed the seller before the auction closed, and he got back to me within minutes every time.

I paid for the item immediately. It was a Monday. I asked to be informed of the tracking info.

He wrote back on Thursday that he was sorry he had been busy, but would ship it out on Friday.

I email him about the Status Friday, Saturday and he gets back to me Sunday and says he didn't have the opportunity to mail it, but would do it Monday.

I try to contact him darn near every day the next week, and finally last Thursday I start to mention that I'm getting a little bit tired of even waiting for a response and that I'm going to file a claim with paypal, ebay and visa.

Well, that same day he sends me an email through ebay saying he shipped it and he'll get me my tracking # that evening.

Well, of course that was the last correspondance we had. I wrote him a few more times to no avail, and then yesterday morning I filed a claim with PayPal against him.

Of course, he hasn't responded to that yet either.

Well, incidentally, yesterday I also saw his email address in a for sale post on RC's equipment forum for a different item. So, I posted in the thread asking if he'd had chance to send my skimmer yet. Not divulging information, not being a d**k, nothing.

Of course, he ignored that too, and since threads get burried so fast there, he simply posted his item for sale again in a different thread.

So, this morning I asked about the skimmer again.

It's not that it's a lot of money ($56), it's just the principle of the thing. And he's a Jersey guy, too. So, I know if he actually shipped the damn thing through any avenue of shipping, it would have been here by now.

So, that's my story. Anyone have any advice?

Should I contact the selling/trading mods and tell them my story, see if they can pull some weight?

Should I post up the whole story in every thread he posts in?

Should I just drive to Bayonne and see if he's bigger than me?

Man. I've been buying/selling on the internet for years, and even had my id on ebay for 7 years with ZERO negative feedback and I've never even had to leave negative feedback.

And then this. What a bummer.

Edit:

Please watch your language.

Report to Ebay, and Visa. If you do not get your money back, can file with police and he will probably get internet fraud charges. I know its a bit harsh, but for one, you are probably not the first he has done that too nor will be the last. Secondly, you gotta look out for numero uno, yanno?

Phyl

Officer Emeritus
Officer Emeritus
I think there's a sellers rating area on RC. You should make a comment in that area about him as well. People should know what they're dealing with.

Re: Guy is ripping me off for a skimmer on ebay but posting for sale items on RC

I say let's roll down to Bayonne, lol, wait I'm suppose to be non-violent right,lol. No really, find the guys address, you will need that if you file a fraud report. I've seen this before, several times on RC. I would alert the mods as to what the guy has done, and also post the same thing in every post he has. He shouldn't be selling things to others, if he can't ship the stuff on time, or when he has promised to do so. If you charged it, Visa, let them know, give it a day or 2 and then tell them you want your money back, I think you can do that.

Last but not least, I believe we can take him, let's roll!

rev

Subliminal

NJRC Member
Re: Guy is ripping me off for a skimmer on ebay but posting for sale items on RC

I actually think I have his address, as I sent him a paypal payment to a confirmed addy. However, I'm kind of hoping that's a last resort. Not even talking about violence here, just the pain in the ass of driving to this guy's house to confront him.

I just emailed 'Anemone', who is the moderator on RC who posted the selling rules in the forum he's currently selling in. I hope he doesn't just say 'the deal has nothing to do with RC and leave it off the forum', although if he does, I will...it being 'their football' and all.

Just kind of a bummer.

Not to mention my tank still doesn't have a skimmer, even though I paid for one a few weeks back.

It does get my goat a bit that he has time to go on rc and post, but can't even email me back or respond to the paypal claim.

arvin

NJRC Member

Should I contact the selling/trading mods and tell them my story, see if they can pull some weight?

Yes. Go for it. Like Phyl mentioned there is a forum to post buyer's/seller's feedback. You can expose him there. Put the ebay link there so everyone can see it in context. Don't forget to leave a negative response in Ebay as well.

Should I post up the whole story in every thread he posts in?
Should I just drive to Bayonne and see if he's bigger than me?

What if he is? :eek: For $56, it is not worth it. Instead, you can e-stalk him and e-piss him off. And be polite. Because you don't have his address. But he has your address.

Good luck!.

Sorry this happened to you, I'm 99.9% sure this is the same loser I saw on the manhattanreef site, selling an oceanic cube right? If you want to try to get a laugh out of the situation go on there and look in the want to buy section for my post for a cube, I played detective and realized the same guy was changing names and reposting for sale because he had screwed people before and was already getting a bad rep for it under one name.

It really upsets me when things like this happen, if nothing else you'd think you could trust fellow reef lovers, especially ones who live so close to you and frequent the same boards etc. I'm almost deciding it's worth it to pay extra and buy new even if it's 2 or 3x the price... I think I've had issues with just about everything I've bought used in this hobby :(

For your specific situation, as long as you paid via your credit card on paypal you're safe. Call them or file a complaint with them (cc company) and you'll get your money back. I'd also file with paypal as you've done, but know that often even if they side in your favor they sometimes can't/don't get your money back (I'm still owed over $50 for an issue over a year ago that I "won" but they couldn't collect the money... I had paid via my bank account). I will only use a credit card now with paypal.

I'm also up for the road trip, just to watch of course, I'll bring the popcorn! hehee

Hey

how big was the skimmer, I have a counter current you can use till you get one. It's not a bad skimmer, I've has it for years and it works well once you adjust it. All it needs is a pump/powerhead and a new airstone, I use wooden airstones.
lmk

rev

Subliminal

NJRC Member

Well, the mod at RC said that I should post as much info in the feedback section there as possible.

The skimmer was a HOT aquamedic flotor.

Right now my filtration is 2 emporer 400 HOT models and a powerhead in my 55. So far, my params have been really well, and pretty much everything i've put in the tank has done great, including the lil acro frags and the frogspawn I just put in there Saturday. Even the acro has it's lil polyps out (are they polyps?)

Anyway, I appreciate the offer on your skimmer, but i think buying an airpump and what not would kind of be a waste when i could just put that money towards a decent skimmer.

Either way, thanks for the thought! :D

no problem

I have the pumps though, just a powerhead would be all you need. Well, if you change your mind, let me know ok

edwin

Subliminal

NJRC Member

You got it!

Thanks for looking out. ;)

Subliminal

NJRC Member

Candi,

Thanks for the heads up. It is that same ...er...dude.

Man.

Just keeping it clean --p

Hey that guys only has 7 sales and feedback is 81%.... you should always buy from buyers that have over 95% positive feedback and at least 100 feedback.

Did you make a ebay/paypal complaint yet? do it soom this way if he tries to "sneak out" they can get your $ back.

I've been on ebay forever and only got screwed once.... but it my case it turnout to be better because I ended up getting the cash back and the item

Subliminal

NJRC Member

Yeah, if you'll note, that negative feedback was placed AFTER my purchase.

I had a good 4 or 5 correspondance string before the sale. He seemed to be a good guy. Usually you can feel people out and kind of get an idea about them.

Not so this time.

I sent the link to the thread on manhattanreefs to the mod i was talking to on reefcentral just now. Hopefully the dude has multiple id's on reefcentral, too, and gets called on it. That'd be sweet. ;)

Subliminal

NJRC Member

Yeah, I'm not too worried about the money...just the principle of the matter. And the fact the guy probably is so tickled that he got over on me.

He's actually logged in and browsing the equipment for sale forum on RC right now. Bastage.

mikem

Officer Emeritus
Officer Emeritus
Whats his name on RC.? I have some MEAN friends in Bayonne. If you ever want to take a road trip and park across the street to see what kind of work they can do, LMK