• Folks, if you've recently upgraded or renewed your annual club membership but it's still not active, please reach out to the BOD or a moderator. The PayPal system has a slight bug which it doesn't allow it to activate the account on it's own.

Hair Algae Escapades

Hey all, about to throw in the towel and jump to fluconazole to treat (if you have some you can spare around Princeton area please let me know). But I have done everything to reduce phosphates over the past month - feeding less, running GFO to keep phosphates below 0.1ppm (Hannah checker around 0.05-0.1 range) and nitrates around 25ppm (salifert), more frequent water changes for 20% a week total, and physically removing as much as I can (until my arm felt it was going to fall off a couple times a week). I have herbivores - 3 blue legs, pincushion urchin, emerald crab, 2 astrea, and a Mexican turbo. I’ve done a 3 day blackout - totally blacked out with cardboard, vinyl, and black gorilla tape earlier before it got really out of hand to knock it back to no avail. I feel the efforts have stopped the spread and slowed the growth, but I just can’t finish it off. Hope I can get some suggestions or some fluconazole from a fellow member who has been through the ringer too!

DEL

Vice President
Staff member
Board of Directors
NJRC Member
How big is your setup ?

That looks awesome aside from the algae,I wonder if theres something in the plastic its feeding on.
I do not think so, the algae is going on snail shells and a couple coral skeletons that it has choked out too. Seeing as the plastic is PETG (mostly carbon oxygen and hydrogen with one sulfur in the center of the molecule) I doubt it is a food source.

MadReefer

Staff member
NJRC Member
Sometimes crap happens for no reason. This time of year Feb/Mar I get diatoms every year no clue why as nothing changes. I would treat with Reef Flux or equivalent.

Jamie S

NJRC Member
I used reef flux last year when I was battling GHA for months and couldn’t beat it with manual removal and large water changes. I combined reef flux with adding a ATS to the system and I was algae free within a few weeks. I feel your pain but don’t give up. Good luck!

GHA is def frustrating but don’t give up. I can say I tried beating with Fluconazole and it did nothing for my GHA. What worked for me and I would use again if it came back was Vibrant. It was amazing how fast my GHA disappeared after treatment. If the Fluconazole doesn’t work that is another option, but I would give the tank a break first so you’re not just dumping all different medications in. Maybe do a large water change if the Fluconazole doesn’t work for you. I hope it does and good luck!

Treatment is officially in flight, mixed up half a capsule in some tank water (2x treatment as allowed per the label) for treating the 2.5 gallon tank volume. Did a decent 30% water change prior and removed GFO. From what I have read, GFO can be reintroduced after 3-4 days to keep phosphates from spiking too high as the gha dies off. I’ll keep y’all posted!

Treatment is officially in flight, mixed up half a capsule in some tank water (2x treatment as allowed per the label) for treating the 2.5 gallon tank volume. Did a decent 30% water change prior and removed GFO. From what I have read, GFO can be reintroduced after 3-4 days to keep phosphates from spiking too high as the gha dies off. I’ll keep y’all posted!
Good luck. Curious to hear the outcome

So the pre-treatment
Phosphate: 0.08
Nitrate: 15

Today
Phosphate: 0.17
Nitrate: 25

Will probably put GFO in today or tomorrow when I have time, but looks like nutrients are climbing so I’ll probably retest tonight and tomorrow to see where they head.
Visually, it looks like the algae in lower light areas is starting to go white, not sure if this is from the treatment, but I am happy to see it suffer either way!
image.jpg

Today
Phosphate: 0.21
Nitrate: approx 40

No noticeable progression in the recession of the gha. Will start GFO this morning.