• Folks, if you've recently upgraded or renewed your annual club membership but it's still not active, please reach out to the BOD or a moderator. The PayPal system has a slight bug which it doesn't allow it to activate the account on it's own.

Has anyone seen this

Mark_C

Staff member
Officer Emeritus
NJRC Member
Wow. That looks fantastic if its accurate. Only concern I would have would be that $500-$600 a year on replacement discs. Up to $50 a month seems a bit expensive to support an unproven $500 product.

redfishbluefish

Officer Emeritus
Officer Emeritus
Never heard of it!

JK

Actually there is a lively discussion over on R2R HERE. If this isn't allow to re-direct, please delete. Otherwise, you'll see my comments there.

mnat

Officer Emeritus
Staff member
They are going to have a booth at macna so I want to see it in person. If it is as good as they say itnis, it could be a game changer

redfishbluefish

Officer Emeritus
Officer Emeritus
But Mike, if they have something at MACNA, the development is still not done. They aren't supplying beta testers until October. So please, let us know what's available at MACNA. My guess is a whole bunch of hype. They still need to sell a bunch on their KickStarter.

mnat

Officer Emeritus
Staff member
Yes, it will be interesting to see what they have. According to Reef Builders, they really don't need the Kickstarter funds, it is more just to gauge the market. They will be building them, it will just be a question of when and the price.

I say it goes the way of that Thrive Aquatics booth that was supposed to be water testings greatest achievement.

redfishbluefish

Officer Emeritus
Officer Emeritus
I'm also not clear as to how this thing communicates. I'm under the impression that it's not a stand-alone piece of equipment....you need a computer/iphone/apex/something, to communicate with it.

I do know you need The Cloud. I know I have The Cloud with my Amazon Fire, but I'm in the fog as to how to get to The Cloud.....is it automatic? As you can tell, I'm not tech-savvy.

And John, I agree with you, I see this going the way of the Seneye.....big splash in the beginning and then crash and burn. I think the initial high cost and then ongoing monthly high costs are going to kill it. And those costs are still a big unknown.

mnat

Officer Emeritus
Staff member
You need to have wifi so it can connect to the cloud so you can see the data, the cloud in this case is their cloud. Without wifi, it is just a brick.

The cost is probably going to be the killer. They need to either take a loss on the unit but make up for it on the discs or make your money on the unit and almost charge cost for the disc. In a RB article, they said their goal was to have a 3 pack for like 99$ but they are not there yet and don't know if they can get there. So bare minimum you are looking at 396 a year in ongoing costs (assuming monthly changes on the disc which is what they are recommending at this time) which is quite steep.

I am a backer on Kickstarter but I cam not fully committed to it and I can back out if I think it is going to be funded and I don't like it. The KS capmagin ends September 6th so I will get to see if in person at MACNA before I make up my mind. I

mrehfeld

Officer Emeritus
NJRC Member
They need to either take a loss on the unit but make up for it on the discs or make your money on the unit and almost charge cost for the disc. In a RB article, they said their goal was to have a 3 pack for like 99$ but they are not there yet and don't know if they can get there. So bare minimum you are looking at 396 a year in ongoing costs (assuming monthly changes on the disc which is what they are recommending at this time) which is quite steep.

That would be the key to profitability, sell the unit at cost and make the profits on the disks just like the shaving razor companies do, the difference is they don't have any competition and the barriers to entering into this realm is high. Besides they would be everyone's first and brand loyalty would be HUGE.

TanksNStuff

Officer Emeritus
Officer Emeritus
First I've heard of it (no kidding) and it does look interesting to me too. I also believe this will have the same issues as the Seneye did with the expensive "replacement" maintenance costs associated with it. So, for a typical hobbyist, this likely won't be an economical choice.

However, for someone who can afford it, it seems like it has great potential to provide constant/consistent/accurate readings of important parameters. If they successfully add a nitrogen and/or phosphate sensor to it... I think it would drastically increase in popularity too. The materials described in how it's made seem to be top-notch and it sounds like they put a high priority on quality and accuracy.

The fact that all you need to do is set it and forget it is very appealing to me and many others. To be able to have your water parameters constantly being tested automatically is just a fantastic concept because many people (like me) tend to get lazy with water tests and don't do them as often as we should. Let's face it, they are a PITA to do, and even when you do them, you tend to question either their accuracy or your execution of the tests which can lead to multiple tests per session. The human error factor is always looming in your mind when you do tests manually so an automatic tester like this that doesn't even require calibration is simply awesome.

Unfortunately, the cost factor for both initial monitor/equipment cost and monthly replacements are not so appealing for everyone though and could be a deal breaker for most.

Mark_C

Staff member
Officer Emeritus
NJRC Member
George,
I'm concerned as I view your signature. It appears that a 0% water level and a 0ppt salinity may indicate that your tank, in fact, has no water in it.
If you have concerns regarding dry, immobile livestock, this might be suspect.
Perhaps this unit may have use.
;) M

art13

Officer Emeritus
Officer Emeritus
Honestly i really think the best market for this at first at least, unless you have plenty of extra cash laying around, would be more for people with larger frag tank that have a business. If this is accurate it could help maintain a stability in a tank where the stock is always changing. Either keeping an eye on it and adjusting dosing as needed or even better, if this turns out to be very accurate, having it control a pump with some type of fail safe built in.

I am a backer also on Kickstarter....just like when Apex came out everyone thought expensive.... look at how well that has done.
If this can provide true and accurate testing results every 15 minutes it is a no brainer for me..

TanksNStuff

Officer Emeritus
Officer Emeritus
George,
I'm concerned as I view your signature. It appears that a 0% water level and a 0ppt salinity may indicate that your tank, in fact, has no water in it.
If you have concerns regarding dry, immobile livestock, this might be suspect.
Perhaps this unit may have use.
;) M

Mark, those readings are showing 0.0 because I don't have those attachments on my controller. Thank you for the concern but I can assure you I have water in my tank and the salinity is 1.026 / 35ppt. :encouragement:

horseplay

NJRC Member
When it comes to reeding there are always a lot of stuff on everyone s wish list, unless of course you're bill gates. Even if this does everything accurately I probably still have 5 items ahead of it on the list. I have been doing fine mostly with weekly alk test and monthly testing of everything else.

I have actually been following this product for a year or so. I read a small article on it a while back and was really interested in it. I spoke with the rep at Macna and then sat in on the lecture. The design and structure was really solid, and the graphing and data logs were outstanding.

If they are able to get this product in production (mass level) I will definitely get it. That being said I would imagine Neptune (apex) will try to jump on the band wagon and make a version of there own. Also I would like to see some user comments on it, and comparisons of its accuracy with standard test kits and/or triton testing

Horseplay they said they are working on more things to test for right now. They way it was explained was it uses fluorescents to measure each parameter. The units are calibrated at their facility (this is a big part of the cost). After it is installed they recommend replacing the disc (the part the has the testing pads (guess that is what you would call them) on it. The rep said you may be able to go longer than 30 days, but some of the pad need replacement sooner than others. He said there are a ton of factors that could prolong or shorten life of the discs. Basically the three optical lenses in the unit measure the binding reading for each parameter being measured. There is three lenses to give more accurate readings and for redundancy, in case something is blocking one of the readings.

All in all this would be a huge game changer. And for those concerned about the initial and monthly cost factors consider this. All of us have probably had one time or another where one or more parameters went a little crazy. This can cause a total tank loss in some cases. With 15 minute readings you could almost eliminate the potential of losing everything you have worked for.