• Folks, if you've recently upgraded or renewed your annual club membership but it's still not active, please reach out to the BOD or a moderator. The PayPal system has a slight bug which it doesn't allow it to activate the account on it's own.

Hello Again, GSW IS BACK BABY!

Hey all!

It has been a very long time since I have posted here, so I decided to give an update-as I hope and am excited that I will see you all at the frag swap that is coming up soon!

I have not been around much because my tank completely crashed a while ago, and I've barely wanted to even deal with that. It basically started when Jane and I went to Key West last april. We were gone for a week, and shortly after we came back I noticed only a few problems with some of my sps. Over the next couple of months, all my awesome SPS stn'd to nothing. It was really heartbreaking to watch everything die slowly. My fish turned on my clams, and I had to move the clams to my small tank (they love it there actually, so that is their new home). But in short, I lost all of my sps, and even a few lps. This is because after months of battling the stn of my sps, I just kind of gave up on the tank, and let parameters go completely to crap. At one point I was going to give up and just sell everything, but I decided not to, because to have a reef tank was always my dream.

At this point a couple months ago I decided I was going to take the tank back. I still don't know what started the decline (I have chemical parameter data for months, up to and through the beginning of the event). I've upgraded a lot of systems in the tank, and am now using 2 part dosed by dosing pumps. I am still in the midst of restabilizing all parameters. Somehow-a few tiny pieces of a couple of my montipora survived-and are recovering. (my green monti cap from olivier), and a brown undata I won from the first NJRC meeting I attended. I also cleared out a lot of rock, and am hopefully opening up the flow through the whole tank a lot more (I also added a lot more flow to my refugium as it seemed like a lot of ditritus would settle there).

The most frustrating part? I have NO IDEA what started this all. I have maybe 1 or two culprits, but nothing definitive. I think now that I have parameters more or less stabilized again, I want to bring a couple water samples to Will over at A.O. to confirm my readings. I think I was holding a parameter based on one certain test, that may have been completely wrong. In other words, I thought one reading was correct, held that target reading, when in fact the result I was getting was falsely high, resulting and a parameter being chronically too low.

This whole experience really sucked, but I am ready to have a beautiful tank again. I hope to do some restocking at the frag swap-I also really need an anemone for my clownfish. I hope to see you all there! (on a more positive note, my little tank, very low tech, very simple runs very well-on clams, zooanthids, a clownfish pair, a neon pseudo, and a very fat and happy potters wrasse!) and LOL the clownfish host & feed a duncan!

magic

Officer Emeritus
Officer Emeritus
CJ

Welcome back. Just in time to stock that tank! Look forward to seeing you at the swap. Will Jonathan be there?

Bob

kevin

NJRC Member
Welcome back! Tell johnathan I am upgrading and ill have the 50g cube available.. muahahahah!

Sent from my HTC Glacier using Tapatalk 2

mnat

Officer Emeritus
Staff member
Good to see you guys again, looking forward to catching up at the swap.

LOL Kevin, I just told him-he shook his head. Don't worry, you never actually quit this hobby, I am convinced, he'll be back one day. And Mike, I am looking forward to seeing you and Nikki at the swap!

My parameters are just about perfect again, tonight's full test results:

Alk=10.2dKH/180ppm (salifert)
Ca= 402 ppm (hanna)
PO4= 0.03 ppm (hanna)
NO3=0-2 ppm (salifert)
Mg=1380 ppm (salifert)

I've been testing alk everyday, dialing in the 2 part system. It looks like I am pretty much where I need to be, or will be very soon. Ca is perfect. I have one very tough piece of sps (and I have no clue what it is) that is showing sign of growth again! Gfo has been upgraded and is now being run through a 2LF MR-1 reactor. Alk, Ca, and Vodka are dosed through typical 1.1 ml/min dosing pumps utilizing digital timers. I am hoping to find an anemone at the swap for my clownfish, now that I have plenty of room for it. Additionally I am hoping to find some really cool montipora again.

chris - not that i have much to offer but if you want any frags - let me know. I don't have much to offer so pm me (can't post on this forum area) or i guess start up a new thread in d&s... - i'm sure others would be happy to help too.

TanksNStuff

Officer Emeritus
Officer Emeritus
How about some Tang frags? ;)

LOL. He's probably got a couple extra fish in the frag tank that he doesn't even know about. Just pay him a visit and bring a bucket... wait for him to go to the bathroom... you get the picture. Take Olivier along with you if you need a coach. :biggrin: