• Folks, if you've recently upgraded or renewed your annual club membership but it's still not active, please reach out to the BOD or a moderator. The PayPal system has a slight bug which it doesn't allow it to activate the account on it's own.

Help before I have a disaster.

So I got my tank finally. I had the stand in the one place that it really fit. It was extremely level front to back but just a off just a little bit right to left. Facing it the right side was lower, but I didn't think it was very significant not having the tank. However as I was cleaning the tank out I noticed it was about a quarter of an inch maybe a little more. So I went and got shims and shimmed up the right hand side and it was perfectly level.

So I start putting water in it and my rocks and I now notice the stand is actually bowing with the center lower. In addition the right hand side of the stand where the door was a bit tight to begin with will not shut. I know I am going to have to do something but I don't know what.

Is it better to be slightly less then level, is there a way to level it better. Please don't tell me I have to redo the floor, that would be virtually impossible.

100_0822.jpg

cardboard and high compression foam under the stand might help level everything more than the shims.

Can you describe the stand bowing a bit more please?

lol sorry, couldnt help myself.
how about just re-do the floor? ;D

no but on a serious note, is there a better, more level spot for the tank? id recommend moving the tank empty then having to do it full of corals and fish
( ......you could, you know, always move it over to my place ::)......... )
if thats the absolute only spot availible for the tank, then cardboard like vang says sounds like a good idea to me.

mikem

Officer Emeritus
Officer Emeritus
I would use shims now since the tank is almost full. Hammer shims under the stand about every 6 inces. (Front and back) You are gonna have to take the bow out.
If you need a hand, LMK.

I can undo what I have done. Basically it is full of live rock and some water. Only partially full and I can fill my sump up on the floor. So I could do cardboard or foam. No corals except maybe a hitchhiker or two. I stopped in my tracks when I realized the end door wouldn't shut right then I started looking at everything. I cannot get behind the tank there is enough room for some stuff but not swinging a hammer. I realize now that my house is slightly sloping. There is not a better place for the tank unfortunately, it was like it was made for a tank,or so I kept telling myself till I filled in the space.

Where could I get the foam, do they make a wedge sort of foam? I suppose that is asking too much. With cardboard would I make like a sloping layer effect? Would 1/4 inch be a major disaster as far as being unlevel?

mikem

Officer Emeritus
Officer Emeritus
OH. You had me worried there for awhile. The rugged foam board would fill the gap of anything from 1/8 and under. How much did you have to shim the right side?

mikem

Officer Emeritus
Officer Emeritus
Is there a backing on the stand? Theres no opening to atleast get 1 or 2 shims under from the back?

mikem

Officer Emeritus
Officer Emeritus
I'm no expert on the rugged board under pressure. I'd be curious to know if putting this under a stand at 1/4 inch out of level is good. Would it settle in level?
Vangvace, where did you go?
I'd feel safer doing it the old fashon way with shims. They never fail. If you can get even 1 or 2 more in the back somehow, maybe reaching in from the sides of the back and do the front every 6 inches, will work.

Sounds to me like you might want to consider a better quality stand. If that is one of those pressed wood stands it will only get worse when moisture starts.

I am not exactly sure I suppose that part of it is. The real problem though is what to do about getting it level. I understand what you are saying but we like the stand. Anyone who can help out I am now getting the water back out.
Thanks.
James

MadReefer

Staff member
NJRC Member
I think the more important concern is the bow. If its big. I had a 35g fresh water tank that was not level on 1 side; off about 3/4". I used cardboard and it compressed over time. I had to drain the tank half way. Then I lifted it while my dad put shims under it. That all happend in years time. Wouldn't want to do that with a reef tank. Just my 2 cents.

danthemanj

FRAG SWAP VENDOR
The rugged foam will not do much if the stand is bowing, instead you could buy the white insulation foam from Lowes / Home Depot. It is softer and will compress more. Another thing you could do is to use self expanding polyurethane foam between the tank and the bow in the center of your stand. The self expanding polyurethane foam will expand to fill all the gaps provided you can get a nozzle fine enough to get in between the gaps but the very fact that there is a bow in the center of your stand makes me sceptical about pursuing that course of action without any remedial action on the stand because it makes me question the quality of construction of the stand. You could increase the width of the inside frame of your stand by attaching a 1" x 3" piece of Oak all around the inside of your stand. Sandwich it with the existing wood with Gorilla Glue and SS Screws but that should be done with the tank off the stand. If you use the foam, make sure its the one that cures hard and NOT the one that cures flexible. Its yellow in color. Good Luck