• Folks, if you've recently upgraded or renewed your annual club membership but it's still not active, please reach out to the BOD or a moderator. The PayPal system has a slight bug which it doesn't allow it to activate the account on it's own.

Help... Clown Invasion

Following pics are the proud parents.
male is smaller and Has white marking40405134-5D88-4D2D-8FC4-8133DA8024B4.png5A5CDFF9-358F-4834-B800-6422977F5F11.png5B0BA76A-D6F9-49EB-858C-5F934402071C.png0E40172F-C758-4C96-8C85-5538CC051613.png531D7E9F-0C3E-42AD-81BE-01BF5681EAFD.png1C7F069A-8EFC-4AFD-8D23-D16FF4ACA64E.pngD330F92E-0312-4805-AF07-8F73D352BFD5.png on right side dorsal. And three prominent black circles with orange centers on left and right side

female. Um... bigger hahaha. And has two spots on right. And three in left

pics don’t show it well but all black circles lips and belly are a dark orange This includes Finns and tail

sorry for quality but darn fish insist on swimming during photo session

Thanks all. We really looked at a lot of clowns. Before picking them. Almost lost out to a pair of orange Ocellaris Snowflakes. But We just loved the unusual faces on these. Only thing is they were way more orange when they were young. They turned very dark overtime. Wich I’m fine with I just hope they don’t loose all there orange

hey guys. thanks @redfishbluefish and @MadReefer for the mention. I don't do this commercially so my methods are probably not the most ideal/efficient but let's break this down.

What to do with the eggs in a tank.
Some people will give up on eggs that are not laid on a tile (easy removal). if they are laid on LR or the wall like your tank, the only thing you can do is on the night they hatch, make sure all pumps are off and then you can either try and manually scoop them gently (i've done it before and it is exhilarating and crazy) or use a device like a Vossen Larval trap. Since this hatch was not saved, if the conditions are ok, the clowns will simply re-start and lay eggs again in about 14 days. So you could put a ceramic tile or similar in the spot they lay eggs. Ideally they lay all the eggs on the tile...

What to do with a tile full of eggs
Now you can take the tile out of main display and put into a small tank and aerate the eggs with a bubbler. Or remove the clowns and put them in the tank with the tile. The male is crucial to keeping the eggs clean and disease free. With the eggs in a small tank, the only thing you need to do on hatch day is get the parents out.

Raising Rotifers:
Set up (old salt) a bucket of rotifers. Or use a similar cheap container. Have a rigid tube and create a bubbling that isn't boiling, but enough to keep the water moving. Feed rotifiers live phyto or if you are lazy like me - reed nutrition's phyto feast or similar. You can also grow your own phyto. Make sure you have a sieve or similar to harvest rotifers. They are not visible to the naked eye. If you have a jeweler's loupe (got one cheap on ebay) you can see them in the water.

Feeding Larvae:
In the tank with the fry, cover all sides with dark paper. Have a normal light at the top but adjust it (if all the fry are swimming into the side glass or the bottom you have too much light). The fry water just needs a rigid tube with air. I can send you pics of plenty of examples. The water itself should be slightly tinted green with phyto so that the rotifiers do not starve when you feed them into the tank.

Then one day the as the fry get bigger they go through metamorphosis and will look like tiny clowns but with a single bar on their head. In your mocha case, I'm not sure what they will look like but essentially the patterns grow in as the fish gets bigger. Once past meta you have to make a decision on what to feed the clowns as rotifers (though they work) simply do not have enough protein to get them big fast. Some people use baby brine shrimp, others swear by TDOS (dry food).

keep in mind depending on how many eggs you are raising you will need a grow-out tank to handle all those fish.

any questions just give me a holler. i'm around and stuck at home lol.

@Hawkeye can’t possibly thank you enough for the information. And taking the time to share it. I will be going slow in hopes to do things as best as I can. I will be doing this with my grand daughter as “hopefully” a fun life learning experience with Grandpa. Again thank you.