• Folks, if you've recently upgraded or renewed your annual club membership but it's still not active, please reach out to the BOD or a moderator. The PayPal system has a slight bug which it doesn't allow it to activate the account on it's own.

Help: Lost most of my fish today really worried!!!!

The_Codfather

Officer Emeritus
Officer Emeritus
I know how they died and the problem is now fixed.. (lack of gas exchange) All the HOB pumps, skimmer and filter not being on the tank due to the top frame being replaced.. had to wait 24 hrs with water half way down till the silicone cured... I had the heater on and one PH running but I ut i didn't think i should of had it more at the top of the water.. Anyway 4 of the fish are still missing and i can only move a few of the rocks to look for them plus 2 of the fish were engineer gobies and we all know where they like to hang out.. My main concern is ammonia levels and the tank crashing due to the tank being a 45gl.. I know WCs will help but i can't do them every day.. I found a product Kent Pro-Ammonia Detox that seems the only good product out there for SW and reef safe and is designed to treat up to 1 ppm ammonia.. Is there anything else I can do or use to help keep the ammonia levels at bay? As of now ammonia levels are 0 ppm in a mixed reef and would like to keep it that way

TIA

Really worried and bummed out

Sid

Sorry to hear that sid, I see you were up late! You can try and use a vial of that prodibio stuff too, I've used them in emergencies as a preventatives when I had something similar occur- (pump stopped working, power strip tripped)

Nothing beats a 50% water change though

Sid - Sorry to hear about this. Are your fish dead or missing? I have had fish go missing for a couple of days, only to find them.

They had moved their "home" to a new location.

I assume you will be testing for ammonia before taking action.

Water changes as often as you can, assuming there is an actual ammonia spike.

Phyl

Officer Emeritus
Officer Emeritus
I had some really BAD ammonia when we first started the tank (sinking pellet incident of '04) where the ammo was off the chart for a week or more before we took the tank apart. I don't think you'll see ammo that high over a few missing fish (unless they were BIG fish). My guess is you're fine.

Sounds like curing silicone may have had a hand in things as well unless you had a fan blowing those fumes away from the tank. That's some wicked stuff.

Sorry to hear that the meeting curse hit you so hard. I'm pretty sure Brian & Deb lost nearly all of their fish just before a meeting once too.

Sorry for your losses. I know you're bummed out, but you should be fine from here even if you can't get those missing fish out.

mnat

Officer Emeritus
Staff member
If you can't find the probidio (which is great stuff), you can try Dr. Tims as well. Dr. Tims is kind of an instant cycle type product that will help drop your ammonia. I used it to cycle our tank after the power outage crash.

I can't recommend any of the botled addatives as I've not used them.

But water changes are a definite! As said a 50% to start it off but that may not be 22.5 gallons, as you have rocks and sand and such in there. Over changing in one shot can be too much of a good thing. Guestimate best you can your actual system volume and do half or less then that that, but at least 25% of the total system volume. Then chnage a gallon or two a day until you feel things are OK.

... And skim like mad!!! Aeration is huge at a time like this, if you don't have a "kick azz" skimmer add an air stone. The fish that are left need to breath.

.. And I bet you those engineer gobies are just hiding, tough as nails those critters.

Best of luck with the recovery.

I agree with Bax, would say 10-15G water changes, make sure you are getting super good air exchange...point power heads towards surface where possible, and use something like a turkey baster to see if you can find those lost fish. Could still be hiding at this point. Continue every day with water changes till any ammonia is gone. Run carbon to remove any other contaminates ... as Phyl pointed out could have been that too.

The_Codfather

Officer Emeritus
Officer Emeritus
Thank you everyone for your concerns and help.... Update: Found one dead fish at 4 am but One more fish was alive(The engineer goby) so i have 3 fish alive and only 3 MIA now (green mandarin a engineer goby and maybe a peppermint shrimp)... A lot critters are floating around Im picking them out as I find them.. Blue leather is very limp but firm ( hopping it's due to stress and will pick up after a week or so.. moved it higher on the rocks )..Cat eye looks damaged but that could of been from me moving rocks around looking for the MIA fish I added some LR from my cured/naughty tank for more good bio.. Added carbon to my filter plus notched up my vodka dose a tad.. still have air stone running.. running skimmer very wet (Aiming for volume than concentrate)I know the carbon won't do nothing for the Ammonia but what harm could it do.. as of 1 hr ago Ammonia is still at 0.. I don't know if I'll be adding any new fish to soon just waiting to see what happens and test 2x a day for the next few weeks
BTW.. And now you guys tell me about a curse?
14xdqbd.gif
J/K.. I know this is the unpleasant part of this hobby and can happen to anyone of us at any time.. Anyway i need to get some sleep as i still have to work on my "honey do list" tomorrow before the meeting

Sid

The_Codfather

Officer Emeritus
Officer Emeritus
I don't think it had nothing to do with the curing silicone and my reasons why.. 2 of the fish when i got home was gasping for air at the top of the water 5 min after i put the air stone in the fish was fine

Sorry to hear of your loss of fish . None of the fish you mentioned are that big so you should not spike that bad if at all . Did your cleanup crew live,if so they (hermits) will make quick work of any remains .

Yeah you should be OK now just keep doing what you have been doing to clean things up. The carbon will obsorb other nasties so that is good.

glad to hear things are looking better and im sorry for your losses. hope the mia fish start poking their heads out soon

The_Codfather

Officer Emeritus
Officer Emeritus
panmanmatt said:
Glad to hear it is looking better.
Thanks Matt and good idea for adding more rock

twisted said:
glad to hear things are looking better and im sorry for your losses. hope the mia fish start poking their heads out soon
I think the green mandarin is 100% gone and the other engineer goby is not looking good either

rodclement

Officer Emeritus
Officer Emeritus
Hey Sid I am holding this beautiful Marrom Clown that was donated to the CLub if you want him/her for your tank just let me know and I will bring it to your house! Glad things are looking up for you!

Rod

RichT

Officer Emeritus
Officer Emeritus
Sorry if I seem like a jerk and I could be wrong but aren't donations to the Club meant to raise funds for the Club via raffles or direct purchase (at a discount of course) by members and such? I know the many many things I donated were intended that way.

rodclement

Officer Emeritus
Officer Emeritus
Hi Rich, no problem in asking at all!

This fish was a part of two that were given to the Club to be donated to a good home. The Blue Hippo found a home during the last meeting and this clownfish went to the home of another member who later returned it due to agression with his existing clowns.

The request for it to go to a good home was specified by the person giving it up, so it is not fair for us to attempt to raise money for it. My primary concern is that if finds it's home.

As it "swims" now it is at my house, in a 30gal along with some Club corals that were donated to the Club for Raffles or fund raising and that is the only difference, the intent of the donor.

Hope I wasn't to confusing in my reply...if I was, please feel free to let me know...I really don't want to hijack Sid's thread anymore! ;D

Rod