• Folks, if you've recently upgraded or renewed your annual club membership but it's still not active, please reach out to the BOD or a moderator. The PayPal system has a slight bug which it doesn't allow it to activate the account on it's own.

Help panic mode

If power is out until Friday and you don’t have a generator. How long before all your live stock dies without a bubbler? How would you keep it alive for that long?

ecam

President
Staff member
Board of Directors
NJRC Member
Wow. How is everyone holding up.

Bot587

NJRC Member
if your tank is big enough, pull the lights off of it get a 5 gallon home depot bucket (siphon water in and dump back into tank) let the water splash in the home depot bucket... i would try to do this every hour (temp can go up or down for a couple days... never harmed my aquarium - long as it doesnt go above 85-86 or below 70

amado

Dal
Staff member
Board of Directors
NJRC Member
You need to get a inverter connect it to your car and run your return from it.
It’s Summer so you don’t need to heat your tank. Corals will be fine without power for a few days. Inverter is like $30-$50

ctg0209

NJRC Member
We lost power in Manahawkin around 1130. Within 30 minutes I broke down, ran out and bought a generator. The thought of losing all my livestock and 2 freezers full of food was harder to bear than the cost of the generator

Jamie S

NJRC Member
I hope everyone (and their livestock) are surviving ok. My power only flickered and is on so if anyone needs, I have a generator they can borrow for the time being. I’m in central jersey.

@Paulie 069 what did you end up doing for your tank?
I went to Home Depot got a DC converter box and hooked it up to my truck, parked truck on front yard by window and ran extension cord thru window to my tank,, works great runs whole system(but I’m just using return pump and power heads) have full tank gas. But I only run truck 10 min every hour or so.
Told wife I’m getting a commercial generator for the house so everything works,, no air conditioner sucks
Pm me if interested.
that is very kind of you to offer, great people in our little community

amado

Dal
Staff member
Board of Directors
NJRC Member
I went to Home Depot got a DC converter box and hooked it up to my truck, parked truck on front yard by window and ran extension cord thru window to my tank,, works great runs whole system(but I’m just using return pump and power heads) have full tank gas. But I only run truck 10 min every hour or so.
Told wife I’m getting a commercial generator for the house so everything works,, no air conditioner sucks

that is very kind of you to offer, great people in our little community

You can run your truck for a long time.
You just need to turn it on every few hours.
When you go on long rides your car runs for 10-12 hrs with no problem. I did this during sandy.
I got a generator right after.
You just need to run your return. No need to run the wavemakers for now.

MadReefer

Staff member
NJRC Member
Power has been out since 11am yesterday and still out. Using two battery bubblers for the tanks. Not sure how long all inhabitants will last.
Not allowed to have generators in our development so that opt is out.
A UPS probably wouldn't last long either.
Using a converter with a car for hours is an opt but I'm sure some jackass would file a complaint against me.
Just hoping for the best right now.

I don't have my car as it was being serviced and with now power its no fixed and stuck on the lift.

I was able to bring food to my stepdaughter's house so no waster there. This morning went there for internet access to work and brought frozen fish food; wife dropped me off and left it in the car...ugh

Good luck to all.

Trio91

Administrator
Staff member
Still no power here, surprisingly my bubbler is still going on 2 D batteries. Did about a 2gal water change from the rear chamber to keep things a lil fresh in the tank.

For now just waiting... been going through food in fridge to get rid of it. Just boiled off about 3 dozen eggs and gonna start pickling them so they keep.

deepblue68

POTM Winner
Well power still out here 23hrs now and looks like wont be back until weekend sometime.
My sister inlaws got her power back on so borrowed her generator and hook up refrigerators and tank.
I just completed a 10% water change!
All my fish are alive and corals closed up tight or leaning over.
I will see how things look in a few hours.