• Folks, if you've recently upgraded or renewed your annual club membership but it's still not active, please reach out to the BOD or a moderator. The PayPal system has a slight bug which it doesn't allow it to activate the account on it's own.

How often do you feed your fish?

diana a

Staff member
NJRC Member

How often do you feed your fish?​

What are you feeding?

I try to feed twice a day. Some days it's only once. If it is once, they get the same quantity as if it was twice per day.

Frozen Mysis shrimp, homemade frozen food (chopped shrimp, mussels & clams) and pods. I have never fed flakes or pellets. I guess if I ever go on vacation I would have to resort to flakes/pellets

myrjon

Officer Emeritus
Officer Emeritus
All different types of dry food-pellets flake all flavors mixed up in a shaker cup .A 2x5 strip of nori (from wegmans) alternate each ever other day.

MadReefer

Staff member
NJRC Member
Twice a day if possible. Usually flake or Nori morning early afternoon and a cube of frozen at night. If I miss a feeding I don't double up on one.
During vacation I leave prelabeled frozen food about a cube and half and have the person feed every other day.

Hallowhead

NJRC Member
I have my auto feeder dump pellets in the AM and i feed frozen food at night. I'm looking to make my own frozen food to provide more control on what my fish / coral are getting. Just have not wet my toes yet.

When on vacation I have a friend feed frozen cube one every other day and my auto feeder feeds everyday per normal

amado

Dal
Staff member
Board of Directors
NJRC Member
I have two Neptune AFS that auto feed 4x a day in the smallest dose. I use a mix of hikari seaweed extreme pellets and new life spectrum pellets.

I feed flake in the morning ocean nutrition seaweed flake. Sometimes i get the pe mysis flake.

I feed a sheet of two live fishes NOri every day. To every tank.

I feed frozen at night I use LRS/ rods food.
I feed fish eggs and reef mix from San Francisco Bay brand. I also always have PE mYsis frozen and I add to the food.
I have hikari clam on the 1/2 shell that I feed the anemones.

I also have a zip lock bag with a bunch of pellet food mixed in to feed the frag tanks that don’t have a auto feeder.
I also add reef roids to the frozen food to broadcast feed the tanks.

Last edited:
I have a Neptune AFS that feeds 3 times a day in the lowers setting, and 1 cube and a mini cube of frozen food every day, my nitrates are of the scale at the moment but I don't have any nuisance algae in the main display

i feed one to two times a day. i make my own food, all kinds of frozen seafood and nori run through a food processor. i have a culture of white worms im looking forward to start using soon.

Jamie S

NJRC Member
I feed twice per day sometimes 3 with new life spectrum and half a cube of mysis shrimp twice per week. I only have 2 clown and 3 green chromis at the moment and I’m wondering if I could feed them an entire cube at once?

Feed every other day. Chop up squid, shrimp, silversides, or whatever comes in some combo pack from an asian market. I try to use live ghost shrimp once a week, the lion is quick to catch them, the eel sometimes tries but misses alot.

Noori every morning.
Then a mix of 2 different pellets in the evening. Maybe do flakes once a week, not a huge fan of them. And then I'll feed frozen food once a week instead of the pellets