• Folks, if you've recently upgraded or renewed your annual club membership but it's still not active, please reach out to the BOD or a moderator. The PayPal system has a slight bug which it doesn't allow it to activate the account on it's own.

Hydroids in Brine Shrimp eggs?

I was thinking about the JB magnetic hatcher that someone was going to try using in her dwarf seahorse tank. Then I started thinking, if that worked, why not try a self feeding station using decapsulated brine shrimp eggs? Sounds good, huh? I made a small hatchery out of leftover plastic, attached an airline, suction cup to back... looks good.

I put 5 drops of the egg solution into a cup, added about 12cc of my water to dilute, let the eggs settle to the bottom, then sucked them out with an eye dropper putting them into my cute little hatchery. Instantly a bunch of eggs came floating out... need to make it deeper...but many stayed in the air bubbles.

In the morning I was excited to see my little sea monkeys swimming around. IT WORKS! .. but what is that? Hydroids!!
default_eek3.gif
Two on the back wall, three on the side wall!!
I ended up finding 9 from just 5 drops of solution! This totally shocked and confused me. How many would there have been if I used a whole capful?

I chose rusalty, aqua culture nursery farms because they advertised they were "Shell free and sterilized with no preservatives", which I believed meant that any pest would be gone. I always read that decapsulating kills pests too. They also said, "If you feed our ANF Decapsulated Brine Shrimp Eggs to your tank directly, the eggs that don't get eaten by your fish will eventually hatch on their own after 24hrs." Seemed like the best for my experiment.

I contacted the company after finding the boogers and he said "there will always be some hatch out of hydra" "a small percentage per hatch" and I must have gotten "an accumulation of higher densities of hydra eggs" from what I pulled... it was 5 drops!

I am so confused...
Even if I hatched in an external soda cone hatchery, there will be hydroids in the bunch.
I never hear of people having this problem... Is it all eggs or just this company?
So how do you keep that from happening then? How do you keep them from your tank?

I have raised brine shrimp and never saw a hydroid. Ever. Not sure if I was lucky or you were unlucky. Or something in between. Just chiming in for info

I had a horrible Hydroid infestation for a couple months. I would see all these little jellyfish looking things swimming around my tank. I would net them to get them out, but then they just went away on their own.

I have raised brine shrimp and never saw a hydroid. Ever. Not sure if I was lucky or you were unlucky. Or something in between. Just chiming in for info
Thank you
That is why I asked because this company said there will always be some hatch and I never heard of problem from people.
9 boogers from just 5 drops was too many to be chance in my opinion.
What brand you use? I have a problem with bleach but think decapsulating myself may be the way to go.

I had a horrible Hydroid infestation for a couple months. I would see all these little jellyfish looking things swimming around my tank. I would net them to get them out, but then they just went away on their own.
They are sneaky when you try to grab with tweezers. They were new hatch so didn't attach to anything yet but would jump and swim away... quick little boogers.
I read that sometimes they will just disappear and others that say they saw certain fish or peppermint shrimp eating.
What brand was it you used so I make sure to avoid?

They are sneaky when you try to grab with tweezers. They were new hatch so didn't attach to anything yet but would jump and swim away... quick little boogers.
I read that sometimes they will just disappear and others that say they saw certain fish or peppermint shrimp eating.
What brand was it you used so I make sure to avoid?
It was years ago. I don't remember what it was but I definitely got them from brine

Thank you
That is why I asked because this company said there will always be some hatch and I never heard of problem from people.
9 boogers from just 5 drops was too many to be chance in my opinion.
What brand you use? I have a problem with bleach but think decapsulating myself may be the way to go.
Prety sure I used brine shrimp direct. And they have de-capsulated

diana a

Staff member
NJRC Member
.... I would see all these little jellyfish looking things swimming around my tank. I would net them to get them out, but then they just went away on their own.

Nothing new has gone into my tank except for the copopods I received from Algea barn on 7/3. I broke down my DT and placed the contents into (3) 20g quarantine tanks because I am waiting on my new tank. I now have these micro jellyfish swimming around my tank. My fish don't eat them. I have been sucking them out with airline hose. There is just so many. Are they bad? I'd hate to restart the QT that I am holding my corals and one fish. I guess it is better it happened in one of the quarantine tanks then in my new DT.

Great question. We have comb jelly’s. They look like this
upload_2019-7-15_11-21-16.jpeg
I have not seen them swimming they are attached to the rock and at night they send out a web and catch floating particles. Every thing I have read says they do not sting or irritate coral. But not sure I want them :confused:

diana a

Staff member
NJRC Member
here is a video from youtube....not my video but this is what i now have in 1 of the 3 QT. It's only in the tank that I added pods to. no clue what they are

Oh that’s nuts. Looked like an old video game called Galaxia hahaha there are so many weird things in sea water not sure we can keep anything out

Well I defer to the both of you. It’s really small. Perhaps I plucked the wrong thing. I have maybe fifty little creatures that put out a long web and real it in its kind of cool. I reached in and plucked approx where it was but I definitely could have plucked the wrong thing

diana a

Staff member
NJRC Member
Well I defer to the both of you. It’s really small. Perhaps I plucked the wrong thing. I have maybe fifty little creatures that put out a long web and real it in its kind of cool. I reached in and plucked approx where it was but I definitely could have plucked the wrong thing

Are there any Vermetid snails near the area you removed the little creature? Vermetid snails will shoot out long webs to collect food in the water column

Yes I found nine of them and removed them. And I found the mother one (50 times larger) under a chalice coral. But they slowly send out a mucus string and slowly real them in. This thing sends out an actual web of tentacle and does at amazing speed. It looks exactly like this
upload_2019-7-15_18-20-8.jpeg

And you are both correct does not look like the previous item a took a photo of. I clearly plucked the wrong thing

I can’t figure out how to attach it but the video that goes with the pic I clipped is amazing and is 100 percent what’s in my tank. It is spot on in every way