• Folks, if you've recently upgraded or renewed your annual club membership but it's still not active, please reach out to the BOD or a moderator. The PayPal system has a slight bug which it doesn't allow it to activate the account on it's own.

Hydroids in Brine Shrimp eggs?

Yes I found nine of them and removed them. And I found the mother one (50 times larger) under a chalice coral. But they slowly send out a mucus string and slowly real them in. This thing sends out an actual web of tentacle and does at amazing speed. It looks exactly like this
View attachment 23770
That is pretty cool looking actually

diana a

Staff member
NJRC Member
Vermetid snails are the reason I bleached, and vinegar my live rocks. They were irritating my corals.

Nothing new has gone into my tank except for the copopods I received from Algea barn on 7/3. I broke down my DT and placed the contents into (3) 20g quarantine tanks because I am waiting on my new tank. I now have these micro jellyfish swimming around my tank. My fish don't eat them. I have been sucking them out with airline hose. There is just so many. Are they bad? I'd hate to restart the QT that I am holding my corals and one fish. I guess it is better it happened in one of the quarantine tanks then in my new DT.
Oh man, that stinks!
Reading and searching, there are apparently many different kinds of hydroid.
Still looking for treatments and options. It seems Panacure works but don't want to use it unless last resort.
I luckily was able to pluck the boogers out.

hydroid.jpg
I asked for a refund since it said "satisfaction guaranteed" to which he said he has a lot of happy customers but didn't say it was being applied...
Just noticed there is another one on right side of picture

radiata

NJRC Member
I find it a little hard to believe that hydroids can come in with decapsulated brine shrimp eggs. You need to soak brine shrimp eggs in a bleach solution to remove their capsules, and I doubt hydroids could survive that regimen. (Here's a decapsulated DIY from Brine Shrimp Direct: What are decapsulated brine shrimp eggs?).

Speaking of hydroids, anyone have any cures for an infestation of them? My current hydroid population probably bloomed with my efforts to propagate nannochlropolis and dump a gallon a week into my DT.

I find it a little hard to believe that hydroids can come in with decapsulated brine shrimp eggs. You need to soak brine shrimp eggs in a bleach solution to remove their capsules, and I doubt hydroids could survive that regimen. (Here's a decapsulated DIY from Brine Shrimp Direct: What are decapsulated brine shrimp eggs?).

Speaking of hydroids, anyone have any cures for an infestation of them? My current hydroid population probably bloomed with my efforts to propagate nannochlropolis and dump a gallon a week into my DT.
Exactly my point to the seller!! He said there will always be some in each hatch but suggested I decap myself for better control. Made no sense.

Looking around, some fish or shrimo will eat but only medication to kill is Panacur but will kill other things too.
Many say they will just go away...shrugging

radiata

NJRC Member
Exactly my point to the seller!! He said there will always be some in each hatch but suggested I decap myself for better control. Made no sense.

Looking around, some fish or shrimo will eat but only medication to kill is Panacur but will kill other things too.
Many say they will just go away...shrugging

Yeah, Fenbendazole does work, but it also takes out gorgonians, worms, snails and who knows what else. I'm in the middle a long thread on the subject on R2R. I think the weirdest observation is the claim that you can't get it out of your tank, even with carbon and WCs, and it will continue to kill new snails as you add them. Some think that it is absorbed by rockwork and slowly released over time.

radiata

NJRC Member
For those of you who have/had hydroids, what color are/were they? I've had two previous infestations, and they looked like a fuzzy white film on my rock. This time they're green. They also have an odd reaction when I touch them - the polyps of those in a 1" radius of the touched ones all very quickly withdraw their tentacles.

Mark_C

Staff member
Officer Emeritus
NJRC Member
Diana,
I have no idea what they are.
If you can bring some to the meet I would seriously love to put them in a tank and see what happens. :)

Sponge,
That image you posted... agreed it seems a pineapple sponge, but they do not sweep.
Vermitads will hole up in a rock and sweep like that, but they're usually under cover.
I have no idea what those things in the pic are.
If you can bring some to the meet... :)