• Folks, if you've recently upgraded or renewed your annual club membership but it's still not active, please reach out to the BOD or a moderator. The PayPal system has a slight bug which it doesn't allow it to activate the account on it's own.

"If you want to upgrade your tank I want you to upgrade my front porch!"

Before I put this sump in I remember seeing something somewhere about putting some sort of passing under it to help cushion it and make it quieter

Know what i am talking about?

You could use the roll foam they use on foundation sills to create a tight air seal. It comes in long rolls at HD or lowes.

I switched the sumps around.
BA9DCFE5-37E5-43DD-B14B-B282146F28CE_zps9jjxfyz0.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]
other than the skimmer not being happy all went well
46B0C3B0-3C57-47FF-843B-839DBFC1C25F_zps17ugfckb.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]
I took it up the the bath tub and gave it a good hot water and vinegar bath. Looks brand new

Here is the sump under the stand and I started to plumb it all together.
34716A51-A262-4D69-96FB-6138636C73BC_zpsjasz1qwx.jpg
[/URL][/IMG] I am using the UltraFlex PVC. I do like it and it does look sharp!
D1348B08-09AE-4040-B33B-8BAEB4C9CB38_zpshltpqtlz.jpg
[/URL][/IMG] The drain is 1.5" so it is kind of a pain to work with because it is so thick.

I just have to do the manifold for the supply but it got to be after 11 and i figured i would quit while i was ahead!

TanksNStuff

Officer Emeritus
Officer Emeritus
Haha, WW3! My wife would kill me if I left that mess at the end of the day.

Few things:

1. Sump looks great and does look like brand new, nice job!

2. Love the outdoor outlet box you installed behind the stand. That was a great idea and should help with preventing corrosion and more importantly, splashing that might do some real damage.

3. Flex pipe looks good. Is that a union that I see in the middle? Hard to tell with the lighting glare... but good idea if so. The pipe does appear to have a small droop in it though. Not sure if that will even be an issue (flow-wise), but I think it might be a concern as far as sediment possibly building up in the low spot, which might be a maintenance issue down the road. If that is a union, then it might not really be a big deal though as you can easily take it apart and inspect/clean it occasionally pretty easily. However, you might want to consider maybe adding another support on the right side (slightly higher) to get more of a constant gradual slope. Just be sure not to put too much pressure on the bulkhead though.

4. Leveling shims - you planning to leave them like that or cutting them off flat at the front?

5. Like the trim piece across the front of the stand. It hides the plywood and metal stand joint well. Would love to see a pic of how the front "door" is attached with those z clips.

I didn't leave it all messy. I cleaned it up for the most part. I just didn't realize how bad it was till I walked in the room.

It's a "Y" not a union. I did that because I have the 2 filter socks. I will however install a union above the "Y" before I am done.

I also didn't glue anything yet. I was just making sure it all fits. I won't glue everything until I figure out the supply

I will cut the shims now that it's full. I just didn't want to yet because I kept adjusting it as it would fill and settle more.

I am going to put another piece of trim along the bottom of the stand to match the top.

I also made the right side wall on clips so it can clip on and off. I'm going to put all of my electric out there on a board on a hinge.

I still haven't figured everything on how the door will hang.

TanksNStuff

Officer Emeritus
Officer Emeritus
Oh yea, I see the Y now. How did I miss that before? Doh!

Gotcha on the rest. Still can't wait to see how you attach the front door. It's the one part of my build that I haven't finalized yet and am looking to see as many options as possible.

Oh yea, I see the Y now. How did I miss that before? Doh!

Gotcha on the rest. Still can't wait to see how you attach the front door. It's the one part of my build that I haven't finalized yet and am looking to see as many options as possible.

I have a plan in my head but most of this has been doing it as I go. I have a feeling that this manifold is going to give me problems finding a clean and smooth way to mount and run it.

On another note the tank is full. I have no clue how a durso standpipe is supposed to work. I'm sure I will figure it out

TanksNStuff

Officer Emeritus
Officer Emeritus
Yup, Dave's link should explain what you need to know. That is one of the "solid" versions.

I have seen some that have a top section that is slightly larger than the bottom section and you can slide the top up/down to adjust the height of the intake. This will allow you to dial it in a bit easier to eliminate the noise.

On the solid version, your only "adjustment" options are to make more/larger air holes in the top cap, or adjust the speed of the return pump (typically with a valve on the discharge side) to change the overall water level in the DT. (Changing the flow rate will either make the DT level higher (slower return) or lower (faster return). Since you will have the adjustable DC pump... that might be easier for you and not require a valve on the discharge/return line.

All fired up and running! No leaks but it sounds like NIAGARA FALLLLLLSSSS in my back room. I will have to mess with the drain pipe when I get home. I also forgot to add a shut off valve on the drain side so I may have to do that. I will read more about a Durso today.

The 105000 DC pump I got sure moves some water and is very quiet.

ULTRAFLEX PVC

here is what I think about ultraflex pvc

I think if you are using it for an under the stand sump it isn't worth it and a PIA. I think if you are going into a basement or another room it is a god idea. since I was using it under the tank I still needed to use a bunch of fittings. I may take the supply side out and replace it with regular pvc. it wasn't worth the money for me.

but that is just my two cents