• Folks, if you've recently upgraded or renewed your annual club membership but it's still not active, please reach out to the BOD or a moderator. The PayPal system has a slight bug which it doesn't allow it to activate the account on it's own.

IM SO F*&**in pissed! i think i have velvet!!!

DEL

Vice President
Staff member
Board of Directors
NJRC Member
first off, i already told Mike (person who was going to buy my bellus angel). so i originally thought that the angel was stressing my pyramid. yesterday i saw it had white spots on him that looked like dust!! last night he died. this morning my blotchy was found dead. just now, my other blotchy was found dead. im sad, mad, and going crazy right now. i have a 57w UV coming in, but it doesnt arrive until Wednesday. I guess I am just going to have to hope that it doesnt kill the rest of my fish. Gem tang, 2 clowns, 1 lyretail, 1 chromis, 1 cleaner wrasse. I dont know how i got it because the last fish i got was the pyramid, and he was perfectly fine. nothing i can do now. live and learn

Salted

NJRC Member
Sorry to hear this Del. Not the way to start off your new tank but try not to let it ruin this for you. Whatever happens you'll get through it. Where do you think it came from? I remember you posting all your new fish in quarantine.

Reactions: DEL

DEL

Vice President
Staff member
Board of Directors
NJRC Member
i honestly have no clue. it could have been there and just came out when my fish was being stressed. all my tanks and i have never had this issue. its ok. i told my wife ill just let it go a few weeks and then buy like 30 chromis hahahahahah

first off, i already told Mike (person who was going to buy my bellus angel). so i originally thought that the angel was stressing my pyramid. yesterday i saw it had white spots on him that looked like dust!! last night he died. this morning my blotchy was found dead. just now, my other blotchy was found dead. im sad, mad, and going crazy right now. i have a 57w UV coming in, but it doesnt arrive until Wednesday. I guess I am just going to have to hope that it doesnt kill the rest of my fish. Gem tang, 2 clowns, 1 lyretail, 1 chromis, 1 cleaner wrasse. I dont know how i got it because the last fish i got was the pyramid, and he was perfectly fine. nothing i can do now. live and learn
How long did you quarantine?

With the $ amount of the fish you still have, I'd definitely try to treat instead of letting them die from it (if it's velvet). You can even speed up the fallow time to 6 weeks if you raise the tank temp

Sorry to hear about this. I've had it happen to me and it sucks. But I was able to save a few of the fish. Do a freshwater or Ruby Reef dip to knock down the parasite load. Then throw them in a QT with either Copper or CP. I would run a UV on the QT at the same time to make sure to kill anything that's floating before it can reinfect the fish. If you need to borrow a UV, let me know - I have a spare that I can lend you. Or if you need copper I have a jug of Copper Power also.

Fallow for velvet is 6 weeks. The raising the temp thing is to cut down the fallow period for ich, but velvet should be gone in 6 weeks regardless of temp.

DEL

Vice President
Staff member
Board of Directors
NJRC Member
thanks for the help everyone. my fish trap arrives Monday, so I'll try to catch whatever I can and throw them in a QT. I can't really try a net approach in a 6 foot tank without snorkel gear hahaha!! until then, i have to just wait and hope nothing else dies.

DEL

Vice President
Staff member
Board of Directors
NJRC Member
How long did you quarantine?
not long enough. maybe a month. but I just QT to make sure everyone eats. I never used meds because the mix of fish some can tolerate it and some can't

Hockeynut

NJRC Member
That stinks Del, if you don’t want to wait till tomorrow you can borrow my fish trap.
the faster you dip and copper those fish the better.

DEL

Vice President
Staff member
Board of Directors
NJRC Member
That stinks Del, if you don’t want to wait till tomorrow you can borrow my fish trap.
the faster you dip and copper those fish the better.
thanks! I'll see. all depends on time. I gotta setup the QT again, make new water for tank, and take care of the newborn....which is definitely priority

eholceker

NJRC Member
You can dose peroxide. Will not cure it but will definitly help the fish survive.

Would immediately start dosing 1ml per 8 gallons of water and in a few days get to 1ml per 5 gallons. Dose Once in the morning before lights come on and second time once lights go off.

Velvet moves quickly from what I hear, like by Wed all will be dead.

Would only recommend trying to medication treatment If you have like 4 figures spent on fish.

Medicating is a huge hassle and once the problem is so far along casualties are likely anyway, all you do is spend more money to elevate your own personal stress level.

I have a 57w aqua uv spare with new bulb I can lend you if you are near by and want to install today.

Whatever is killing the fish, need to zap the free floating l...

eholceker

NJRC Member
Velvet moves quickly from what I hear, like by Wed all will be dead.

Would only recommend trying to medication treatment If you have like 4 figures spent on fish.

Medicating is a huge hassle and once the problem is so far along casualties are likely anyway, all you do is spend more money to elevate your own personal stress level.

I have a 57w aqua uv spare with new bulb I can lend you if you are near by and want to install today.

Whatever is killing the fish, need to zap the free floating l...

Good chance not all fish will succumb to velvet. Likely there will be a few that become carriers with a low rate of infection. With you ick you can mange the parasite but with velvet every fish will need to come if you ever what to add anything to the display again.

Agreed that some fish may survive with immunity but you gotta rid them of the velvet. Tank will have to go 6 weeks fallow. If you don’t want to medicate the survivors, maybe consider TTM for them at least? That should be able to rid them of any remaining velvet that they’re carrying.