• Folks, if you've recently upgraded or renewed your annual club membership but it's still not active, please reach out to the BOD or a moderator. The PayPal system has a slight bug which it doesn't allow it to activate the account on it's own.

In this hobby you need a back up for everything.

amado

Dal
Staff member
Board of Directors
NJRC Member
Last night I got an apex alert that one of my return pump stop running.
Sure enough I have two simplicity 3200 pumps running my system.
One of the return pump failed. When I build the system I wanted to make sure I had some layers of protection.

I have wav makers and heaters in each tank. I also have cut off for each tank. So each tank in the system can run as it’s own tank with no problem. I also picked a return pump that’s is stocked at my lfs.

I was able to get a new pump this morning. Since I am running a dc pump it was the controller that was bad. So I was able to just replace the controller. I didn’t need to re-do the plumbing. I also used a lot of unions so if I did replace the return it would have been easy.

now I will reach out to simplicity and replace the controller. When I get the new controller . I will add it to the new pump. now I will have a replacement return in my closet.

Last edited:

amado

Dal
Staff member
Board of Directors
NJRC Member
I have learned not to trust anything. I have two refractor meter that I can check my salinity. I also use the Hanna checker to confirm my numbers. Calibrate both when I do large water changes. I use the apex salinity as a guide.

I test alk by Hanna checker and I also use the trident. I have replacement wav makers and heater at home ready to go.

I have my heaters monitors by apex but I also have two INKBIRD that also confirm my temp.

Last edited:
Reactions: DEL
I bought a backup return pump a few weeks ago. I was not happy about spending money on something that's currently a paperweight, but it's definitely good to have

amado

Dal
Staff member
Board of Directors
NJRC Member
I bought a backup return pump a few weeks ago. I was not happy about spending money on something that's currently a paperweight, but it's definitely good to have

it sucks but you have to do it. Return pumps will always die at night or when you are not home. I am glad I also setup my apex to send me alerts. That saved my butt.

Hallowhead

NJRC Member
I have too many backups LOL

Makes maintenance easy, when I'm lazy I just take a backup pump and drop it in instead of cleaning