• Folks, if you've recently upgraded or renewed your annual club membership but it's still not active, please reach out to the BOD or a moderator. The PayPal system has a slight bug which it doesn't allow it to activate the account on it's own.

Is your membership subscription current? Election voting depends on it!

TanksNStuff

Officer Emeritus
Officer Emeritus
Chances are, your membership subscription was setup as an automatically recurring payment on a yearly basis through PayPal, unless you paid for it at a meeting via cash or check. However, it's come to our attention that some of these recurring payment subscriptions were interrupted without the user even knowing. We're not certain as to why or how this has happened, but the fact remains that we needed to investigate the situation.

Upon initial checks, our records indicate that a large portion of subscriptions have not been renewed over the past year or two. While some of those may be legitimate cancellations, we wanted to make sure we knew exactly which overdue accounts needed further action. We need to do this now so that this won't be an ongoing issue. Also, in order to protect our members from possible embarrassment we decided we would not post the list of members with outstanding dues. However, if you would like to check if your membership is up to date, you can do several things:

1. First off, if you didn't receive a new membership card in the mail in the last year, chances are you don't have a recurring subscription and you're not current on your membership fees. If you don't remember how long ago you received your latest card, take a look at it and you will see an expiration date in the bottom left corner. Of course there can be other reasons for not receiveing your new card (we might have a wrong or old address for you, it may have gotten lost in the mail, or perhaps it was just an oversight or clerical error on our part) so if you have a membership card that expired (or you don't have one at all) then do #2 below.

2. Secondly, check your paypal account to see if you still have an "active" subscription with us. I'll give you instructions to check this:

• 1. Login to paypal
  • 2. Under "My Account" click on the "History" tab/link
  • 3. Click on "All Activity"
  • 4. You will see date range boxes. Click on the first one and select a date that's before you signed up for the club. You can leave the second one as today's date.
  • 5. Click on the orange "Show" button.
  • 6. Look through your history for one that says "Active" under the "Payment Status" column. You should have one there for NJ Reefers Club (paypal@njreefers.org) That will be your recurring membership subscription. If you click on "Details", it will show you your last and next payment dates. Verify whether you've made a payment in the past 12 months.
  • 7. If you don't have a subscription that's Active, then chances are you had it linked to a credit card that expired or something that didn't allow the payment to go through last time, or you cancelled it or something. See #3 below.

3. Lastly, if you don't have an "active" subscription going with PayPal and/or you paid initially via a different method, then please PM me to verify if your paid membership is current. I'll check our records to see when your last payment was received. There are far too many for me to do this for every one, so please do the self checks above before asking me to check it for you.

Now, in addition to the unknown PayPal issue, the members' forum accounts are not tied to the automatic payments. So, when the recurring subscription payments failed to go through, there was a situation where unpaid accounts remained as paid "Members". Therefore, we compared our records of payments with the list of forum account titles on the website. It seems there are a large portion that were once upgraded to paid "Member" titles (giving them access to all the members only forums) but should actually have been downgraded to "Registered User" status upon expiration of their last subscription.

Therefore, we have a large task ahead of us to manually compare both lists to see which accounts will need to get downgraded.

In order to give our members a chance to correct this on their own, and hopefully at the same time reduce the number of accounts that will need to be corrected on our end... we will delay making any changes for 1 week.

On Friday morning, February 28, 2013, we will begin the manual account corrections. At that time, if you're account was one that was not paid up to date, you will get downgraded to "Registered User" status and you will immediately lose access to all the members only forums. That means you will lose the ability to access the following forums:

• 1. The Junk Yard
  • 2. Networking (newly created forum)
  • 3. Members General Discussion
  • 4. Deals & Steals
  • 5. Group Buys and Discounts (Affected accounts who are currently involved with the Feb. Premium Aquatics GB will retain temporary access to this forum only until/unless the membership payment is made.)
  • 6. Member Organized Orders
  • 7. Suggestions
  • 8. Rock the Vote (Where the election polls will be held and also the PoTM contest)

The goal is to have the corrections completed prior to the start of the elections since it would be unfair for an unpaid member to cast a vote.

If you have any questions or need any help working through this, please contact me and I'll see what I can do to help.

TanksNStuff

Officer Emeritus
Officer Emeritus
Quick Update for this...

I've already had some people check into this and made a payment to clear it up. - Thanks!

Couple quick points:
1. We won't be seeking "back pay" if you're account has been expired for more than 1 year. We only expect you to start fresh with a new paid subscription (which will cover you til 2014).
2. If it's determined that your membership subscription is not up to date, the easiest way to fix it is to create a new subscription by going here: http://www.njreefers.org/payments.php
Just select individual or family and then click on the "Order" button. That will take you to the paypal payment page to complete the transaction.

The newly created subscription should be a recurring, yearly payment that will auto renew you every year on the date you created it. This should prevent this from happening in the future.

Thanks in advance for everyone's understanding.

redfishbluefish

Officer Emeritus
Officer Emeritus
George, thanks for the advice through PM’s. I really wasn't expecting this to be an issue and was surprised to not see dues in my account.....so check your paypal accounts like George suggests. I don’t know what happened to my paypal, but I’ve re-upped my subscription and should be good to go. Thanks again. I feel like a newbie all over again! Dance

mnat

Officer Emeritus
Staff member
Then I am glad you are missing the meeting, keep that newbie luck at home.

I just got my membership card, thank you for that. Let me know if any dues are up, I believe I am up to date though. Thanks

TanksNStuff

Officer Emeritus
Officer Emeritus
Upon further examination of the website software, it would take considerable extra work to modify accounts that fall into the "unpaid Member who participated in the recent PA Group Buy". Singling those accounts out and creating a new account type for those would not be worth the effort for such a short time of activation.

Therefore, we decided to just hold off on the downgrades until after the PA group buy is concluded and everyone has received their purchases. This means that all the unpaid "Members" will be getting another short grace period to get your accounts up to date before being downgraded.

If you ignored this announcement or never saw it to begin with... and you're not current with your membership subscription, but want to retain your "Member" status... you'll need to create a new subscription payment via our membership subscription page: http://www.njreefers.org/payments.php.

Once the GB order is complete, ALL unpaid "Member" accounts will be downgraded.

Thank you for your understanding and cooperation.

TanksNStuff

Officer Emeritus
Officer Emeritus
Another update. Even though we are delaying the downgrades until after the PA group buy is complete, we will not be allowing those in this situation to participate in other currently running group buys unless the subscriptions are paid up to date.

Anyone in this situation that attempts to participate in a new group buy will be notified via PM that we will remove their orders unless subscriptions are paid in full.

radiata

NJRC Member
New to this thread...

I PayPal'd the NJRC $12.67 on 4/3/12. Can I assume my subscription is functioning properly? I don't see any similar payment for 2013.

TIA...

TanksNStuff

Officer Emeritus
Officer Emeritus
I PayPal'd the NJRC $12.67 on 4/3/12. Can I assume my subscription is functioning properly? I don't see any similar payment for 2013.

TIA...

Bob, we won't know that for sure until after 4/3/13 I suppose. Most likely your's should be ok.

We will be checking on this much more closely in the future so we'll let you know if there is an issue.

TanksNStuff

Officer Emeritus
Officer Emeritus
FYI, I've started to downgrade all accounts that aren't up to date. If you suddenly see your title under your name go from "NJRC Member" to "Registered User" or "Small Frag" or something of that nature, then you are one of those people who haven't kept your subscriptions up to date. If you get downgraded, you will also no longer have access to any of the Members Only forums.

If/when you create a new subscription, we'll upgrade your account back to NJRC Member. Please note that post counts may be affected by these changes.

If anyone that is currently involved with the PA Group Buy is in this category, you may get a short extension on the downgrade until I find out whether your order has been picked up. If there is anyone with a temporary relief, you will get a PM and likely an email (if we have one on file for you.)

Sorry if anyone is inconvenienced by this, but we feel there has been plenty of notice given about this. If there are any questions, please PM me with them.